Eleven years ago today, I started my business. I remember staying up late and sitting at the computer with my boyfriend at the time, designing business cards and a website. It was the scariest thing that I have even done. I literally didn't sleep for three days. Its been one wild ride. I love it, though. And I am not getting off the roller coaster.
So lets talk about the life of a business owner. True tales here!!
* There is no 9 to 5. Its a hard thing to cut off. I get calls and texts all the time from clients and prospective clients. The more I am able to answer my phone, the more business I am able to schedule. Its just that simple. People are amazed that I answer the phone after 5 pm.
* When you own a small business, you wear many hats. What are your daily priorities? What is the most important thing you need to get done each day to stay in business? For me, its answering the phone and scheduling appointments. Marketing and paperwork area close second.
* Make your business mobile. I can run my business with a phone and calendar. Its that simple. I have been known to take calls in the car before and after jobs.
* Make your car a mobile office. I bring work with me. You will be amazed at how much you can get done in little pockets of time.
* Give yourself a break. We all need our downtime. Running a business can take over your life. Make sure you have some balance.
* Plan your day. Before I go to bed each night, I write out a game plan for the next day. This includes personal and professional items.
* Keep good books. I can't tell you how many business owners that I have worked with that don't have a bookkeeping system or don't even keep books. Its so important to keep track of your money.
* Listen!! People are always going to give your business advice. Make sure you listen to them. Always been humble. I have gotten some really good advice from family and friends.
The most important thing is to love what you do!! Live your passion!!
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.