Moving sucks. I can't say it enough. When I moved it wasn't a happy time three years ago. The decisions, packing, and purging(okay I had one small bag to donate). Its a lot to do in a small amount of time.
I am seeing a trend of more and more people packing their own stuff for local moves. Anything to save some coin these days.
Here are some tips to help you with your moving process!
* Boxes-They are expensive. You need them to move. Trash bags are only good for linens and clothes. Here are some resources to get free or discounted boxes:
1. Freecycle.org- check out this site for free boxes
3. The grocery store- Free- banana and egg boxes rock
4. Uhaul.com- they deliver them to your home!
* Labels- Buck it up and buy some. Many packing places have brightly colored labels or you can use the post it labels. These make a huge difference. When they movers are quickly unloading boxes, they don't always see the writing on the boxes. Make a color grid for the front door. It will help them get the boxes in the right rooms!
* Purge- Don't haul your crap across the map! Time for a purge. Go through every room in your home and evaluate your stuff.
* Sell- Want to recoop some money:
1. Garage Sale- You can make some money but this takes time
2. Estate Sale- Antiques, vintage, or high end- call a pro!
3. Consignment- furniture or clothes
4. Misc Sales- books, cds, ect
* Pack- Pack your off season clothes. Pack items you don't use on a regular basis.
* Schedule- set up a timeline for yourself. Don't do the maniac move! Give yourself time! Start early!!
The more prep work you do ahead of time, the easier your move will go! Enjoy your new home!!
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.