It's that time of the year again. Back to school. It seems like yesterday I was working the double shift at the DQ to save up money to buy stuff for college. I even called my future roomie to make sure that our stuff would match! Did I tell you that we painted our room pink? Are you suprised?
Every year, I help parents pack their kids off the school. It brings back a lot of wonderful memories. Here are my tips on how to set up a dorm room.
* Talk to your future roomie. Split up the big ticket items like the refrigerator, microwave, and phone.
* Dorm rooms are tiny. My roomie and I didn't have bunk beds but we put our beds up on milkcrates and used the space underneath for storage.
* If possible, when you do your college tour, ask to see the dorm rooms. This helps a lot.
* My mom saved her trunk from college for me. Did I want it -no. I ended up taking it with me and it stored so much stuff!! I also had a lock on it to keep things safe.
* Take only what clothes you need. I brought a lot of nice stuff that I never ended up wearing. I was amazed to find out that kids literally roll out of bed to go to class.
* Stock up on toiletries. Now is the time to go to Costco. This will save the student time and money. Buy those big lotions and shampoos.
* Don't forget the school supplies. Don't overbuy!
* Limit your decorative items to pictures on the wall. You need the other space for function.
* Move in day is crazy. Some schools will make you schedule a time. Pack a couple of suitcases with clothes-that go back home. Think about using large bags (IKEA) to pack items vs boxes. This saves room in car and time. Bins are also a good idea.
* If you are going to school out of state, think about getting a storage unit for the summer, vs taking everything home.
And there are you have it. Dorm life made simple.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.