In the last few years, the extreme changes in the economy brought around a new way a life for many people. A lot of people found themselves "downsizing" their lives and space. The housing and rental market was flooded.
THIS IS NOT AN EASY PROCESS. I am not going to lie to you. It's time consuming and brings out a lot of emotions. When your space changes, so must your belongings. Everything needs to be evaluated from your furniture to pots and pans. Here are some helpful tips to help you with the process.
* Start early- months ahead before your move
* Start by evaluating your furniture- What will fit in your new space? What do you want to donate or sell?
* Take one room at a time
* Have a staging area for items to be sold and donated
* Arrange Pick up for donations or furniture to sell.
* Go through your stuff- Again- what do you have space for?
* Containerize your memory or paper archive items. This saves space
* Pack as you purge
* Be realistic about what you decide to take with you
* Have a game plan- set goals for yourself
* Don't wait till the last minute to purge
* Don't think it will be done in a day
* Don't move from room to room- finish one project at a time
As you can imagine, helping people downsize has been a growing part of an organizers business. Each month, I find myself with new projects of this type. Sometimes, we start months ahead. We cruise through the process at a nice speed. Other times, we have a set deadline and it can become stressful. Downsizing is stressful- don't make it worse.
The most important thing is to have a game plan. Make the time to make it right!!
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.