It makes me want to cry when someone hires me for a huge job and books me for only three hours. It happens all the time. Today I am heading out to the southside for a three hour booking. The clients want the kitchen, master closet, and garage organized. This isn't possible! Not even with my caffinated crazy self.
Many times people choose not to get organized or to start projects because they feel it will take too long. Just last Christmas my sister told me that she didn't organize her closet cause it would take her the whole day. I whipped it out in two hours.
Based on my 10 years organizing experience, I have created a timeline of how long it takes to complete an organizing project. This is based on two people (an organizer/friend and homeowner) working on the project.
1. Kitchen- A small condo kitchen takes around 2 hours to organize. A large kitchen in a mcmansion or big house can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours.
2. Master Closet-If you have a small closet with sliding doors, it will take around 1.5 to 2 hours to organize. A larger walk in closet will take 3 to 6 hours depending on the amount of clothing and sorting that needs to be done.
3. Home Office- Setting up a filing system literally takes 20 minutes. The paper sorting is what takes time. I have done offices in 2 to 10 hours. It also depends on if you have to set up more than one filing system (if you are a business owner).
4. Basement- The bane of most peoples existance. Most of the time items items are already contained or shelved. Sometimes there is just a big mound. Again, this depends on the amount of items that need to be sorted. An average basement will take anywhere from 3 to 10 hours. A severely cluttered basement can take 10 to 20 hours.
5. Garage- More and more people are spending the money to build out their garages. It makes sense. The garage is a multi functional space for most families.
6. Linen Closet- An easy one. This project entails putting like with like and refolding. This project will take 20 minutes to an hour depending on the size of your closet and folding that needs to be done.
7. Master bathroom - Sorting and setting up the drawers. This project will take you 30 minutes to an hour. Use stackable bins under sink and in closet.
So there you have it. A timeline to get your projects done!