I recently spent a glorious week in warm, sunny, palm tree-lined Los Angeles where there is no shortage of breweries or craft beer. I chose to stay in three different neighborhoods to make things more interesting. My beer consumption exceeded my expectations, which in turn caused me to overindulge more than once. It was totally worth it because I was introduced to some sensational beers, especially by Modern Times and Bagby Beer Co.
Downtown Los Angeles
- Boomtown Brewery - I enjoyed these tasty, interesting beers: Magic Napper Scottish Ale, Bad Hombre Lager, Little Shady Black Lager, Rocket Surgery Belgian Blonde Ale, and Ingenue Witbier. https://boomtownbrew.com/
- Modern Times The Dankness Dojo - I devoured every drop of these phenomenal beers including Monsters' Park Bourbon Barrel Stout, Dimension Door Imperial Stout, Temple of Silence Imperial Stout, Grim Tusk Imperial Stout, and World Spirit (Grisette style collab with Three Magnets Brewing). http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/
- Blue Palms Brewhouse - I drank Biggie Stout and Hefeweight Bock by Bagby Beer Co., Damnation Belgian Strong Golden Ale by Russian River Brewing Co., and Punkin Ale Pumpkin Beer by Dogfish Head Brewery. http://www.bluepalmsbrewhouse.com/
- Stout Burgers and Beers - I indulged in Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Macadamia Nuts, Coconut & Cocoa and Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Hazelnut, Vanilla & Coffee by Modern Times, as well as Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quadrupel Bier 11 (2018) by Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan. https://www.stoutburgersandbeers.com/
- Surly Goat - I imbibed in Rumpkin Pumpkin beer by Avery Brewing Co. and Chocolate Raspberry Stout by Brewery REX. Rumpkin was the highest ABV beer to date for me, sitting at 16.9%. http://www.surlygoat.com/west-hollywood
I highly recommend paying these fine establishments a visit if you are in the area, and I am already dreaming about a return. Cheers!
Tags: Bagby Beer, beer while traveling, Blue Palms Brewhouse, Boomtown Brewery, California, craft beer, downtown Los Angeles, DTLA, Hollywood, Los Angeles, Modern Times Beer, Stout Burgers and Beers, Surly Goat, travel with beer, WeHo, West Hollywood