I was lucky enough to attend a beautiful destination wedding in Puerto Vallarta last month. Even though I've been to 30+ weddings, this was the first true destination wedding I've ever attended.
And it was awesome.
1. Start with killer welcome bags. They definitely kept with a Mexican theme and included beach essentials, such as water and sunscreen. An itinerary of the weekend's events was included on a postcard for easy reference and there was even a small bottle of tequila for guests. I could even look up how to say "Thanks for the swag" with the handy Spanish phrase book.
2. Plan the right amount of events. I thought the couple did a great job giving us the right amount of structure to the weekend. Many of the meals were arranged for guests, but there was also a lot of free time to enjoy PV in any way you wanted. It was a great balance of getting to hang out with the other guests I knew, meet those I didn't, and spend some quality time with my date.
3. Take advantage of the of the destination. As much as we all talked about how we wanted to keep coming back year after year, most of us won't. The bride and groom did a great job of highlighting some different parts of PV during our weekend there and also adding unique Mexico touches to their wedding day. Think made to order tacos as late night reception munchies and a tequila bar to rival any I've ever seen. My personal favorite was yoga on the beach on the wedding morning. There's something kind of breathtaking about yoga with the waves crashing around you.
4. Get a spectacular wedding venue. If you're having all your family and friends trek hundreds of miles to see you get married, it better be good. The villa that served as the reception venue was nothing short of incredible. It's also the only wedding I've been to where getting in the pool was perfectly acceptable behavior after dinner.
5. Rock that social media. There was a hashtag especially created for all of us to share our photos on Instagram and easily find pictures from the weekend. And I guess make all those not there wish that they were. This party was blowing up Facebook before most of us were north of the border again. #myfriendsarecoolerthanyours
Brighten my day like yoga on the beach and like 'No Bags To Check' on Facebook!
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.