In the words of Dr. Cornel West - "None of us alone can save a nation or a world, but each of us can make a positive difference if we commit ourselves to do so."
It is Day 11, and I am still living on the rooftop of an abandoned motel right across the street from my church. This is also the 20th day of my 40 day "water" only fast and we're still trying to raise the funds needed to implement change.
Listening to the news, I realize trouble is everywhere; war oversees, civil war in the White House, allegations of a marital war in Herman Cain’s house and street wars right in front of God's house (New Beginnings Church) on Chicago's south side at 66th and Martin Luther King Dr...
From this rooftop, I may not be able to change the world, save a nation, or dispel allegations against Cain, BUT, I am committed to changing the violence issues where we live in the Woodlawn and Englewood communities, making a positive difference in the lives of any family looking to survive on King Dr...
If there ever was a community that needed to be changed, it’s this community:
- Since living in this community, my house has been broken into 3 times
- I had a gun put to my head, right in front of the church, while my family watched in horror, for defending 3 prostitutes from a young pimp
- My daughter was robbed at gunpoint by a 15 year old teen on the bus stop in broad daylight
- My car has been broken into 2 times on the church parking lot
- A distraught man, angry at me, wrote on top of our construction sign “Pastor Brooks is a Bitch!”
And if that wasn’t enough, I've had to endure numerous encounters with people lacking mental stability, as was the case of Joe (not his real name)...
- He was a 21year old drug addict who approached me wearing a Michael Jackson Sparkle glove
- He sported a gray, London Fog trench coat that was tattered and torn up the edges
- A white female cap that looked like something my grandmother would have worn to church in the 70’s and...
- A stuffed purple "Great Ape" monkey around his neck with the hands clasped under his throat... I asked,’ What can I do to help you.' He responded, 'Can you help me get the monkey off of my back?'
So, there are 2 questions that beg to be answered... Why build a church in such a dysfunctional community and Why subject your wife and children to such wayward conditions, when they could easily enjoy a better quality of living? My answer is simple yet complex... my family and I are committed to change at the sacrifice of a finer life!
Football legend Vince Lombardi said it best... “Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It’s something we call heart power and NOTHING will stop him short of success. Therefore, the quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their COMMITMENT to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”
Hopefully you see, we are "Committed to Change..." Are You? Your comments are welcomed... You can help by giving to www.projecthood.org
Pastor Corey Brooks
Follow me on Twitter @CoreyBBrooks and Facebook @Corey Brooks or Pastor Corey Brooks or email me at email@example.com
Tags: @NDIGO, chicago politics, community colleges, education, gang violence, Hermene Hartman, Murder in Chicago, On The Roof. New Beginning Church, Oprah, Pastor Corey Brooks, South side killing, youth violence