It's almost time for fall break on many college campuses. That means, students everywhere are journeying back home to pick up a few winter items - possibly a few jeans will not be fitting like they did the year before. Not to worry! Try these simple tips for keeping those freshman pounds from stacking up.
- Know everyone calorie counts - even liquids- bottom line: eating.drinking more + doing less = gaining weight
- Line your plate with fruits and vegetables AND Proteins to balance blood sugar levels -think eat baked potato instead of fries and save 200 calories!
- Eat when you are hungry and not because your friends are - stay away from food pushers: the old "just try one bite". Have will power and walk away
- Get rest... sleep deprivation causes food cravings - hormones like leptin and gherlin change and make you want sugar! so get some solid sleep or take a 15-20 minute nap.
- Wear a core balancing shoe that helps you burn more calories with every step- yes the shoes out there that promise a few more calories being burned -and they might motivate you to get there and walk
- Reward yourself for good behavior - lipstick, nail polish, cool pens, or big ticket items like Pilates session or a new pair of jeans
- Exercise in your dorm room. Youtube.com, ExerciseTV and other online sites offer quick workouts that you can do in your room-or rent a DVD and workout from your laptop.
Andrea Metcalf is the author of Naked Fitness, Vanguard press available December 28, 2010. www.nakedfitness.com