I’ve been a Spotify
addict convert for a couple years now, but a few weeks ago I learned how to love it even more: New Music Tuesday playlist. Yes, you can subscribe to this playlist and each week get a fresh batch of new music. I love it!
The only downside: there are about 40 – 50 new songs each week, which is bordering on too many. I know, that’s like complaining about having too much money. You can never have too much! My process is to listen to the playlist and then syphon the best songs to my 2014 Favorites playlist. It’s a lot of pressure- on a good day I can get through the playlist once or twice, although I’ve started skipping songs I don’t like (a manual process since you can’t alter the playlist).
Anyway, I thought it best to share the songs I have discovered this month, the majority of which I never would have listened to without this playlist. Here are my favorites from the past month:
• “Hard Time” – Seinabo Sey
• “Giant in My Heart” – Kiesza
• “Coastline” – Wunder Wunder
• “Next to It” – Lupe Fiasco, feat. Ty Dolla $ign)
• “Do Me Right” – Leela James
• “Like I Can” – Sam Smith
• “I Will Be There” – Odessa
• “I Wanna Get Better” – Bleachers
• “I’m Not the Only One” – Sam Smith
• “Higher” – Classified, feat. B.o.B.
• “Paradise is You” – La Roux
• “Show Me the Way” – Dilated Peoples, feat. Aloe Blacc
• “She Came to Give it to You” – Usher, fest. Nicki Minaj
• “Bang Bang” – Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj
• “Arrows” – Fences, feat. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
• “So Bad” – Cam’Ron, feat. Nicki Minaj
• “Working Together” – Los Colognes
• “She’s Not Me” – Jenny Lewis
• “Dearly Departed” – Shakey Graves, feat. Esme Patterson
My observations about this mix:
- Nicki Minaj contributed to three of the 19 songs
- Sam Smith might be my favorite new artist
- I'm starting to hear about Jenny Lewis a lot. She reminds me a bit of Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville era)
Happy August- I'll get started on compiling a whole new batch!
If you enjoyed this post, join me on Facebook for future thoughts on music.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button so you don’t miss a single post. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized