You have probably heard that this weekend marked Michelle Obama’s 50th birthday. Fabulous! Today I read that her press-free birthday celebration included performances by Beyoncé, John Legend and Ledisi. Who??? Based on the inclusion of the first two artists, I could gander a guess that Ledisi might also be of the R&B variety. I was right!
Several years ago, Michelle (can I just call her Michelle?) told People magazine that her favorite artist on her iPod at the time was Ledisi. Well, sign me up! Here are a few facts about Ledisi to get you up to speed quickly:
1. Her name means “to bring to, to bring forth in Yoruba, a language spoken in Nigeria. It is her birth name, she didn’t choose it.
2. Her name is pronounced “Lettucy” as in “this salad is too lettucy.”
3. Her hometown is New Orleans, but she moved to Oakland when she was a teenager.
4. She began performing publicly at age eight with the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra.
5. She has performed at the White House multiple times, including on the president’s birthday.
6. She has been nominated for 8 Grammy awards: Best R&B Performance (2010, 2012, 2013), Best R&B Album (2008, 2010, 2012), Best New Artist (2008) and Best R&B Song (2012).
7. She has released six studio albums and has another due out this year (March 11th, to be exact). The first single from the album (entitled “The Truth”) is already out: “I Blame You”
8. Her Instagram from the night of her recent White House performance: “Happy Birthday to our beautiful First Lady! @michelleobama What a night!Our feet hurt!lol! @beyonce amazing spirit just like the women and people around you.Good morning!Goodnight everyone!Ledisi”
9. According to an interview with the Chicago Sun Times in 2012, Ledisi said that her musical influences include Aretha Franklin, Dinah Washington, Chaka Khan, Otis Redding, Willie Nelson and Patsy Cline. She also enjoys opera.
10. Ledisi co-authored a book with Essence magazie entitled “Better Than Alright: Finding Peace, Love & Power.” The book is meant to be inspirational and describes how she overcame her own struggles.
Don't you feel as hip as the first lady now? Me too!
If you enjoyed this post, join me on Facebook for future thoughts on music.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button so you don’t miss a single post. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Here is the video for Ledisi's new single. Enjoy!
Filed under: Music News