Posts tagged "Wicker Park"

Ghost Signs: Van Houten's Cocoa

Ghost Signs: Van Houten's Cocoa
Ceonraad Johannes Van Houten is the creator of modern cocoa powder. In the early-to-mid 19th century, he created a new process to make chocolate production easier. He was also the inventor of Dutch chocolate. It began in Holland, but by the end of the 19th century, Van Houten had spread across Europe and eventually made... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery

Forgotten Merchants: Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery
Above the building at 1308 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park is an ornate decoration that reads “R&O”. This 3-story terra cotta commercial building, designed by David Saul Klafter with W. J. Ratlidge, was built nearly a hundred years ago for the Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery, a national company started by Louis and Samuel Ogus and Frank Rabinovich that... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: M. Houlberg and Company

Forgotten Merchants: M. Houlberg and Company
Above the building at 1629 N. Milwaukee Avenue reads “M. Houlberg Co. Painters & Decorators.” Martinas (Martin) Houlberg was a Danish decorative artist who came to Chicago in 1892 to work on the World’s Colombian Exhibition. He designed and built the metal cornice on the building, which was built in 1903. This house both his... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Merchants: The People's Gas Light and Coke Company

Forgotten Merchants: The People's Gas Light and Coke Company
Above the two storefronts at 1520-22 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads “The Peoples Gas Light & Coke Company.” This company wasn’t exactly “forgotten;” they are the precursor to today’s Peoples Gas. They were Chicago’s first utility company - Chicago Gas Light Coke Company - in 1849 and became The Peoples Gas Light & Coke Company... Read more »

Forgotten Chicagoans: George Strauss and John Jensen

Forgotten Chicagoans: George Strauss and John Jensen
Atop the building at 1427 N. Milwaukee Avenue reads “G. STRAUSS 1887.” Built in 1887, this Italianate-styled building was built as a storefront with residential units. The storefront was a hardware store for George Strauss. Born in Germany on Nov 12, 1844, Strauss arrived in the United States in 1867. He arrived in Chicago shortly... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company
Above the doorway at 1725 W. North Avenue in Wicker Park reads “The Langendorf Clothing Company.” The Langendorf Clothing Company was founded in 1919 by Henry Langendorf. Prior to entering the clothing business, Langendorf worked for Dow Chemical and was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for helping to perfect chemicals used in a gas mask during World... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Chicagoans: P. Christensen

Forgotten Chicagoans: P. Christensen
On the building at 1300 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads in ornate lettering “P. Christensen.” Built in 1887, the building was designed by Christian O. Hansen. The original owner was P. Christensen. I couldn’t find out what the P stood for, as not much is known about him. There were a number of... Read more »

Forgotten Chicagoans: John F. Dugan

Forgotten Chicagoans: John F. Dugan
Atop the building at 1282 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads “DUGAN 1888″. The building, completed in 1888, was originally owned by John F. Dugan, an Irish real estate agent and former butcher. He moved several times while living in Chicago. Although putting his name on the building would seem to indicate some intention... Read more »

Ghost Signs: Spengler and Company

Ghost Signs: Spengler and Company
On the side of the Double Door building at 1572 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park is a ghost sign that reads “Spengler & Company.” Werner Spengler was born in 1831 in Germany. He arrived in Chicago with his brother John in 1865 and immediately began a retail dry goods business with him called Spengler... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Chicagoans: Charles Schroeder

Forgotten Chicagoans: Charles Schroeder
At the top of the building at  1323 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads “1885 C. SCHROEDER.” Charles Schroeder had a meat market at this building, which he had built in 1885, at what was once 981 Milwaukee Avenue. Within 15 years, Schroeder had moved his business to 532 Thomas. The building is one of the contributing... Read more »
  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Meet The Blogger

    Neil Arsenty

    Neil is a comedian and web content specialist. He lives in Ukrainian Village.

  • Tags

  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement:
  • Fresh Chicago News