Posts tagged "loft conversions"

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company
Above the doorway at 1725 W. North Avenue in Wicker Park reads “The Langendorf Clothing Company.” The Langendorf Clothing Company was founded in 1919 by Henry Langendorf. Prior to entering the clothing business, Langendorf worked for Dow Chemical and was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for helping to perfect chemicals used in a gas mask during World... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: Common Sense Novelty Company

Forgotten Merchants: Common Sense Novelty Company
Carved in stone over the doors at 2435 N. Sheffield Avenue in Lakeview is a sign for the Common Sense Novelty Company. The Common Sense Novelty Company was founded in 1903. Originally at 215 S. Clinton Street, they built this factory in 1909, as the sign states. Their main entrance at the time was around... Read more »

Ghost Signs: The Adams and Westlake Company

Ghost Signs: The Adams and Westlake Company
All around The Adlake Building at 319 W. Ontario Street in River North, you can see ghost signs for The Adams and Westlake Company, a railroad supplies manufacturer once known all across the country. John McGregor Adams was a highly acclaimed businessman in Chicago. Born in New Hampshire in 1834, he arrived in the city... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Merchants: John Sexton and Co.

Forgotten Merchants: John Sexton and Co.
The condo building at 360 W. Illinois Street reads “JOHN SEXTON & CO.” John Sexton, born in Canada in 1858, came to Chicago in 1877. He was a grocer and developed a chain of tea and coffee stores. In 1883, he partnered with George Hitchcock to found the wholesale grocery company Hitchcock & Sexton. Three... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: Kling Bros. and Co.

Forgotten Merchants: Kling Bros. and Co.
Tucked away at 2300 West Wabansia Avenue in Bucktown stands the Clock Tower Lofts. Over each doorway reads “KLING BROS. & CO.” Completed in 1920, the Kling Brothers & Company building was built as a manufacturing facility for their wholesale clothing business. It was designed by Alfred Alschuler, an innovational architect at the time.  His... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: Devoe and Raynolds Company

Forgotten Merchants: Devoe and Raynolds Company
On the corner of Halsted and Chicago (770 N. Halsted Street) stands a condominium building that once was the manufacturing plant for the Devoe & Raynolds paint company. The company has a long history. The company can traces its origins to 1754, when William Post began selling paint on the East River in New York.... Read more »
Advertisement:
  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Meet The Blogger

    Neil Arsenty

    Neil is a comedian and web content specialist. He lives in Ukrainian Village.

  • Tags

  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement: