Posts tagged "Epigraph"

Forgotten Chicagoans: Charles F. Lindau

Forgotten Chicagoans: Charles F. Lindau
At the top of the building at 925 W. Armitage Avenue in Lincoln Park reads “LINDAU.” Formerly 159 Center Street, the building was built in 1886 by Charles F. Lindau. Lindau was born in Germany in 1845 and arrived in the United States in 1863. He became a naturalized citizen in 1872. Lindau was originally a candy maker... Read more »

Forgotten Chicagoans: A. C. Baumann

Forgotten Chicagoans: A. C. Baumann
At the top of the this Italianate style apartment building at 2200 N. Clybourn Avenue in Lincoln Park reads “A.C. Baumann”. Built in 1887, the building was originally owned by Chicago real estate pioneer August C. Baumann, who arrived in the United States from Germany in 1859 with his wife Henrietta when he was just 17... Read more »

Forgotten Chicagoans: F. J. Dewes

Forgotten Chicagoans: F. J. Dewes
Atop the building at 319 W. North Avenue in Old Town reads the name “F.J. DEWES.” The building was once home to the F. J. Dewes Brewing Company. Owned by Francis J. Dewes, the company lasted fifteen years under this name, opening in 1882 and changing to City Brewing Company in 1898 and Standard Brewery soon after.... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Buildings: Sherman Brothers

Forgotten Buildings: Sherman Brothers
At the corner of Milwaukee and Thomas in Noble Square – specifically 1084 N. Milwaukee Avenue – sits a very ornate glazed terra cotta gated building labeled with the name “Sherman Brothers Building.” Built in 1921, this was once home to the Sherman Merchandise Company, which sold radios, record players and other music-related equipment.  It... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery

Forgotten Merchants: Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery
Above the building at 1308 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park is an ornate decoration that reads “R&O”. This 3-story terra cotta commercial building, designed by David Saul Klafter with W. J. Ratlidge, was built nearly a hundred years ago for the Rabinovitch and Ogus Millinery, a national company started by Louis and Samuel Ogus and Frank Rabinovich that... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: M. Houlberg and Company

Forgotten Merchants: M. Houlberg and Company
Above the building at 1629 N. Milwaukee Avenue reads “M. Houlberg Co. Painters & Decorators.” Martinas (Martin) Houlberg was a Danish decorative artist who came to Chicago in 1892 to work on the World’s Colombian Exhibition. He designed and built the metal cornice on the building, which was built in 1903. This house both his... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Merchants: The People's Gas Light and Coke Company

Forgotten Merchants: The People's Gas Light and Coke Company
Above the two storefronts at 1520-22 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads “The Peoples Gas Light & Coke Company.” This company wasn’t exactly “forgotten;” they are the precursor to today’s Peoples Gas. They were Chicago’s first utility company - Chicago Gas Light Coke Company - in 1849 and became The Peoples Gas Light & Coke Company... Read more »

Forgotten Chicagoans: George Strauss and John Jensen

Forgotten Chicagoans: George Strauss and John Jensen
Atop the building at 1427 N. Milwaukee Avenue reads “G. STRAUSS 1887.” Built in 1887, this Italianate-styled building was built as a storefront with residential units. The storefront was a hardware store for George Strauss. Born in Germany on Nov 12, 1844, Strauss arrived in the United States in 1867. He arrived in Chicago shortly... Read more »

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company

Forgotten Merchants: The Langendorf Clothing Company
Above the doorway at 1725 W. North Avenue in Wicker Park reads “The Langendorf Clothing Company.” The Langendorf Clothing Company was founded in 1919 by Henry Langendorf. Prior to entering the clothing business, Langendorf worked for Dow Chemical and was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for helping to perfect chemicals used in a gas mask during World... Read more »
Advertisement:

Forgotten Chicagoans: P. Christensen

Forgotten Chicagoans: P. Christensen
On the building at 1300 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park reads in ornate lettering “P. Christensen.” Built in 1887, the building was designed by Christian O. Hansen. The original owner was P. Christensen. I couldn’t find out what the P stood for, as not much is known about him. There were a number of... Read more »
  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Meet The Blogger

    Neil Arsenty

    Neil is a comedian and web content specialist. He lives in Ukrainian Village.

  • Tags

  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement:
  • Fresh Chicago News