At the top of the building at 925 W. Armitage Avenue in Lincoln Park reads "LINDAU."
Formerly 159 Center Street, the building was built in 1886 by Charles F. Lindau. Lindau was born in Germany in 1845 and arrived in the United States in 1863. He became a naturalized citizen in 1872. Lindau was originally a candy maker in the late 1860s, but moved to the more general dry goods retail business in the late 1880s.
Soon after the turn of the century, he left this building to his son-in-law.