Forgotten Chicagoans: A. C. Baumann

At the top of the this Italianate style apartment building at 2200 N. Clybourn Avenue in Lincoln Park reads "A.C. Baumann".

Built in 1887, the building was originally owned by Chicago real estate pioneer August C. Baumann, who arrived in the United States from Germany in 1859 with his wife Henrietta when he was just 17 years old. He never lived in the building. Originally a mason, he retired from real estate in 1905 and died in 1920.

The building is across the street from the old Romanian community center The Coliba. This was a tavern in the 1930s and home to Decorative Arts Co. painters and decorators in the 1940s. The Starbucks that was here for the last 10-15 years just closed.

Advertisement:

Filed under: Epigraphs

Tags: Epigraph, Lincoln Park

Leave a comment

  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Meet The Blogger

    Neil Arsenty

    Neil is a comedian and web content specialist. He lives in Ukrainian Village.

  • Tags

  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement: