Many Chicagoans will tell you that the two major long time rival newspapers in town are Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times. There was once a third, however: the Chicago Daily News.
The Daily News, founded in 1875, was a pioneer in American newspapers. Unlike its rivals, it was an afternoon paper. It became one of the first to set up foreign bureaus in 1898. It also introduced many innovations to the business, including classifieds and news story, serial and comic syndication. Together with The Fair Department Store, it launched WMAQ-TV, which it later sold to NBC.
The paper enjoyed great success until the 1960s. With the rise of television and an afternoon reader exodus to the suburbs, it began a slow decline in readership. Despite attempts to grab younger readers, the Chicago Daily News was published for the last time on Saturday, March 4, 1978, although there was a brief attempt to revive it a year later. The paper was awarded the Pulitzer Prize thirteen times in during its publication.
Ghost signs for the Chicago Daily News are still visible around the city:
- 950 W. Willow Street in Lincoln Park. This is only viewable from the back alley and Brown Line.
- 1102 N. Ashland Avenue in East Village.
- 1230 W. Augusta Boulevard in Noble Square. This is only viewable from the Metra train.
- 1330 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park. Note the location of this sign: it was painted to be viewable when the "L" was still elevated at Hermitage, not entering the subway as it was changed in the 1950's.
- 1370 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park. This is also a Prima Beer ghost sign. It was significantly more noticeable only 4 years ago. It is covered by a temporary billboard now.
- 1749 W. Chicago Avenue in West Town.
- 1926 N. Halsted Street in Lincoln Park. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago repointed this 3 years ago. The linked article suggests that Roger Brown chose this location for his studio because of the sign.
- 2023 N. Sheffield Avenue in Lincoln Park. This is another sign only viewable from the back alley and Brown Line.
- 2068 N. Leavitt Street in Bucktown. This is covered in vines in the summer.
- 2378 N. Elston Avenue in Bucktown. This is very faded and is also Goldblatt's ghost sign. It was a bit more noticeable in 2003.
- 5930 W. Lawrence Avenue in Jefferson Park. This is very faded.
- 3145 S. May Street in Bridgeport. This is shared with a Gold Medal Flour ghost sign.
- 2314 S. Leavitt Street in the Heart of Chicago.
- 3317 S. Morgan Street in Bridgeport. This is very faded.
- Grand and Harlem in Elmwood Park. This was just revealed in March 2014.
There are also Chicago Daily News-related buildings that still exist:
- Daily News Building, 2 North Riverside Plaza in the West Loop. Designed by Holabird & Root, this art-deco building was completed in 1929 for the Chicago Daily News. This was its home until it was bought by Field Enterprises moved into the Sun-Times Building 30 years later.
- Daily News Condos, 222 S. Racine Avenue in Little Italy. Over a century old, the building was once a garage for the Chicago Daily News horses and trucks. It was converted into condos in the 2000s.