- Luol Deng is a secessionist. He registered to vote in the upcoming Jan. 9 referendum in Southern Sudan to claim independence from the genocidal regime ruling the country. Role model, IMO:
- The Nets are reportedly going to ask permission to make a grand pitch-type presentation to sell Carmelo Anthony on signing an extension that would finalize a sign-and-trade between Jersey and the Nuggets. Probably as they would a free agent. This could just be a bold gesture, but it implies the two teams have agreed to the terms of a trade and only 'Melo is holding it back because the Nets won't finalize the trade unless 'Melo's contract is extended.
- The Magic traded four players to get four in a huge deal over the weekend and apparently, the rest of the roster -- besides Dwight Howard -- are still on the trading block. With Dwight Howard anchoring the paint, I still say the Magic are better having lost their backup center who was a strong defender and Mickael Pietrus who was good enough in adding three less-than-average defenders. But it's a valid question that I'm not entirely confident answering.
I think it's flawed reasoning to see the trade as Gil replacing Vince Carter. To say it's good for Orlando is Gil returns to the form of three years underrates the fact the Jason Richardson is the upgrade to Vince, Gil the upgrade to Mickael Pietrus, and Hedo Turkoglu the upgrade to Rashard Lewis.
Also: The Wizards are on the list of NBA teams desperately searching for a backup point guard since trading Gil to Orlando. Kirk Hinrich has played the one, two, and three for the team, but John Wall hasn't exactly been an Iron Man.
- The Celtics (22-4) beat the Pacers (12-14) 99-88 for their 13th straight win. Without Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce is manning the point forward on a lot of posssessions. He finished Sunday's game with a triple-double (18 pts, 12 ast, 10 rbs).
- The Heat (21-8) will go into Dallas (21-5) Monday on a 12-game winning streak.
- The Cavs snapped a ten-game losing streak and that makes me happy. Why? Because they snapped it by beating the Knicks (16-10) 109-102.
- Brandon Jennings will be sidelined an estimated four weeks due to a foot injury. Bad news for the Bucks and amorally good new for the Bulls
- Is Tyson Chandler joining the Mavs like when KG joined the Celtics?
- J.R. Smith will not participate in the Dunk Contest during All-Star Weekend.
- Rick Pitino will coach Team Puerto Rico in the summer of 2011 qualifiers for the 2012 Olympics and the Olympics if they make it.
- Steve Francis played with the Beijing Ducks with ice bags around his ankles for 17 seconds -- "clearly out of shape":
Filed under: Around the Web
Tags: 2012 olympics, beijing ducks, boston celtics, brandon jennings, carmelo anthony, cba, cleveland cavaliers, dallas mavericks, darfur, dirk nowitzki, gilbert arenas, hedo turkoglu, indiana pacers, jason richardson, john wall, jr smith, luol deng, miami heat, mickael pietrus, milwaukee bucks, nba, new jersey nets, new york knicks, orlando magic, paul pierce, phoenix suns, rashard lewis, rick pitino, slam dunk contest, southern sudan, steve francis, sudan, team puerto rico, tyson chandler, vince carter, washington wizards