- Former Blazer PF and assistant coach Maurice Lucas, 58, died Sunday after a long battle with bladder cancer. Dan Devine compiled some reactions and reflections at Yahoo!. Most interesting to me was discovering that like me, he was a jazz fan at a young age.
- Early technical foul calls are up around 25% through Sunday relative to the last two years to that date in more games played. The article adequately notes that illegal-D is a T and not knowing the numbers, I've been amazed at the high amount of clumsy illegal-Ds committed in the dozen and some games I've seen so far this season. In general, the NBA looks extraordinarily clumsy, even for the first week of the season. I've also noticed the refs are allowing and responding well to players calmly asking about calls, which is T-worthy under the new "respect of the game" rules that were ruining the pace of pre-season games that don't need help being bad to watch as it is.
- Al Horford has signed a contract extension with the Hawks that mirrors his former Florida teammate Joakim Noah's at 5yrs./$60m hours before tonight's deadline to do so. Can they afford him?
- Phil Jackson calls his Lakers bench "The Renegades." Matt Barnes didn't respond by kicking Phil-Jack in the sac, displaying more voodoo from The Zenmaster.
- The Celtics are the NBA Halloween GOAT. Rajon Rondo's excellent Tiger Woods, Paul Pierce's frog, KG's giant orange whatever (pumpkin?) are all gold. Shaq missed practice Monday and is likely to miss Tuesday's game against the Pistons with a bruised knee he suffered Friday against the Knicks.
- Are the Thunder bad at defense? I saw them against the Bulls and the Jazz and though they won the first, I have to say yes. Getting fouled at an insane frequency is simply looking like an equalizer. It's a big reason why I'm unsure if they're the 2nd or 4th best in their division, let alone my feelings of those who've went and done loss 'er damn mine' to call them the best in the West.
- GSW may be the NBA social media GOAT with a thumbs up from Stephen Curry. Unrelated: here's what they should learn from their spanking at the hands of the Lakers.
- "Leave me the hell alone about my fuckin' knee," Kobe says. It was the second day in a row he's jested that he's sick of people questioning whether or not he's feeling pain or is 100%.
- Whether or not Carmelo Anthony will become a Knick is in God's hands, according to Spike Lee.
- "We're just not really close to being there in how to play with [Yao Ming],"
Rockets head coach Rick Adelman said. "We're almost to the point where you have to
have certain people on the court with him to take advantage of him.
We're a work in progress right now."
- Zach Randolph fears he may have literally busted his ass. What was thought as a bruised tailbone may be a fracture. He went in for an MRI, Monday.
- Wilson Chandler will become a restricted free agent in the 2011 off-season, as him and the Knicks were not able to come to an agreement on extending his contract (h/t: TrueHoop). "We
will wait until the year is over," Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The New York Post. "It has nothing
to do with Wilson. We want him. It has to do with the fact that there
will be a new collective bargaining agreement and we are not sure what
impact it would have."... The 'Hey Bulls, Get Wilson Chandler' campaign has officially begun at Load o' Bull. Don't say I didn't warn you.
the teams I think look awful on paper, the Pacers are probably the most
likely to become looking respectable and make a playoff run, especially
since Roy Hibbert can pass now. That man can be a serious weapon.
- Despite Manna From Heaven, Michael Beasley says his Darkowolves are the "worst team in the NBA." He may be right, but I'm still taking the CRaptors on that bet.
- Marcin Gortat seems to have set his mission as spreading the Haterade across the East -- first the Miami Heat and now the entire city of New York. I'm likin' the moxie.
- Timofey Mozgov Superstar apparently turns into a playground schoolchild when you bring up Shaq and KG around him.
- I refuse to give a shit about today's D-League draft.
Filed under: Around the Web
Tags: al horford, atlanta hawks, boston celtics, golden state warriors, houston rockets, la lakers, marcin gortat, maurice lucas, memphis grizzlies, michael beasley, minnesota timberwolves, nba, new york knicks, oklahoma city thunder, roy hibbert, t fouls, timofey mozgov, wilson chandler, zach randolph