Big props to Instagram Husband, Jeff Houghton the local late-night TV personality from Springfield, Missouri. His video is brilliant.
1) The viral video Instagram Husband is a powerful reminder to be present. I lamented that I didn't take a better photo of the Christmas Tree in Millennium Park last night. I was en route to my husband's holiday party. It's not that serious. Tender moments happen when we're not posing.
2) Social media can be high maintenance. Social media cheer leaders carry a heavy burden. I'm grateful to mine. They encourage me to do what I love: write! Huge thanks to my sister and a few of my friends who know who they are.
3) Satirize what you know. Social media anxiety is a big deal. That's exactly what Instagram Husband conveys without being mean.
4) Curate your story. Too much information is a bad thing.
5) The selfie stick is hilarious. In case you wonder what that is, Wikipipedia defines it.
A selfie stick is a monopod used to take selfie photographs by positioning a smartphone or camera beyond the normal range of the arm. The metal sticks are typically extendable, with a handle on one end and an adjustable clamp on the other end to hold a phone in place.
7) The author was patient and persistent with his TV show and media pursuits. His Internet success didn't happen over night. His video is impeccable quality. It quickly exploded with almost 3 million hits to date.
8) We all need help from our friends. Similar to how they're portrayed in the video, friends round out our perspective and give support.
9) It's ok. Confession, I sometimes experience post envy. I can't take a photo of my feet to save my life. My makeup is never perfect in "candid" moments. I don't even have an Instagram account. So what?!
10) Thank you social media friends. I am grateful for your support. Thanks to my Dad who photographs a lot of our family events. My husband keeps it real. If we enjoy an awesome restaurant with beautiful presentation, we usually do not capture it for social media.
What does the genius Instagram Husband parody teach you?