As Coco Chanel said, “Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.” Guys and girls, a proper office dress code requires attention to detail. Your office dress code should err on the side of conservative. Let these five rules with a bit of Coco Chanel be your guide.
1) Be modest. Regardless of your body type or stage in life, don't show too much skin. That means cleavage must be concealed and skirts should be an appropriate length. Women with larger cleavage may wear higher necklines or modest camisoles. Clothes should not be torn. Clothes may not be skin tight either. It's inappropriate to show your back, bottom and shoulders and chest. That means no low rise pants either. “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.” ― Coco Chanel
2) Pay attention to personal hygiene and grooming. Men and women should always dry their hair for the office. When it warms up for sandals, be sure your toes don't gross anyone out. Flip flops are a big no in the office. Body odor is unacceptable. Pay attention to detail so your clothes are well ironed and your buttons are tight. “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” ― Coco Chanel
3) Do not over accessorize. Accessories must also be professional - that means not distracting in size. They should never make noise. Lace and sequin dresses or any dramatic embellishments are not for the office… “Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.” ― Coco Chanel
4) Do not dress for the night club. No dramatic, smoky eye shadow for the office. Makeup should be minimal. Office attire from head to toe should never sex it up. “Elegance is refusal.” ― Coco Chanel
5) Do not dress for the gym. Track suits and yoga pants are not for the office. “I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.” ― Coco Chanel
Naturally, some industries are more casual than others. These rules still apply.
When in doubt, ask what would Coco Chanel say or wear? She also said, "before leaving the house, a lady should look in the mirror and remove one accessory."