Once your find a handful of great marinades your life will be easier and more exciting. Good eating makes life exciting! Quick meal prep times makes life easy. All of these require only a 5 minute prep time. This is perfect for the protein driven eater. Someone trying to cut down on carbs and simply eat protein sources. Of course, you can add a tasty ready made brown rice or quinoa to the meal. But I think you are better off marinating, grilling and eating. Since I do a lot of my dinner prep in the morning while giving breakfast out and making lunches, I really appreciate being able to add brilliant flavor to my protein sources. I allow it to soak all day, my husband then begins the cooking process while I finish work and when I get home – PRESTO! It is done. All I really need to do then is teach my husband how long to cook stuff. Since it is the beginning of grilling season, this game plan works will for me for over next 6 months. So here are my 5 best marinades.
You must have 1 of these two items:
The freezer Ziplocs bags or an amazing Tupperware. Because once you put your protein in and seasonings, you will shake, shake, shake it vigorously before putting it in the refrigerator.
1. Hawaiian- You can send a Mahalo later!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 good squirt of honey
- 1 spoon of minced Garlic
- 2 splashes of soy sauce
prefer: pork and chicken
2. Greek – OPA!
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup of olive oil (extra virgin)
- ½ teaspoon or oregano
- sprinkle some high quality salt
- ½ teaspoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon if minced garlic
prefer: white fish, lamb and pounded chicken breast
3. Cuban – Must listen to Tito Puente while eating.
- 1 tablespoons of minced garlic
- your best salt- use to taste
- 1 teaspoon if black pepper
- ½ orange juice
- ½ of lime juice (NOT LEMON!)- I prefer it squeezed.
- 2 teaspoon if cumin
- one squeeze of lemon juice from half of a lemon
- ideally then throw – cleaned bulbs of garlic in
prefer: on white fish, pork, scallops, chicken on bone and even a flank steak
4. Mexican - Chips and Guac will make it complete! (and a margarita)
- ¼ cup of tequila
- ½ cup of lime juice
- 1/4cup of olive oil
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 -2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- (I prefer with sliced peppers are colors)
- 1 pinch of cilantro
- 3-5 whole cloved of garlic (which you know you can buy peeled and ready)
prefer: flank steak or a pork chop
5. Viking -'Lekker!'
- ¼ cup of dill
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of celery salt
- ½ teaspoon (or sprinkle) of chopped dried chives (unless you have fresh)
- 1 cup of plain low fat yogurt
- a squirt of Dijon mustard
- 1 splash of soy sauce
- 1 big squeeze of lemon juice from a half lemon
prefer: salmon and pounded chicken breast or turkey breast