Exercise is very important while pregnant. There are so many safe exercises you can do while pregnant. I have had three kids and I exercised regularly through each one them. I was very committed to the routine of exercise and it paid off at every phase during pre the pre and post-natal phases. Of course, there are many conditions that complicate the ability to be active while pregnant. But it is important to spread the word that women should not be sedentary and over eat during the 40 weeks. Even an 'easy' pregnancy is not as easy as it is to not be pregnant. When you feel great during your prganancy is really means, relative to other days when you felt like crap or other women who seem to feel terrible - you feel great. And in all honesty, the days I felt great really meant for that time of day or at that moment. Now my kids are 1,3 and 4 years old, my exact sentiments during pregnancy are fleeting. But I remember one certain thing - I always felt better after I worked out and I was determined to stick to my routine of exercise because it was worth it.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommend exercise during pregnancy. According to a study done by Dr. James Clapp, a professor of reproductive biology at Case Western University, “infants born to women who exercised were significantly heavier and longer than those whose mothers did not exercise. In addition, mid–trimester placental growth rate was faster and indexes of placental function were greater in the pregnant workout group.” ( Article published in American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2000; ((183:1484–8))
Here are the top ten reasons to follow a safe fitness program during pregnancy:
1) Speedier recovery after delivery
2) Increased sense of well being and self esteem during and after pregnancy
3) Less leg cramps
4) Larger placenta which in turn provides an increased nutrient base for the baby
5) Decrease the risk of excessive weight gain caused by an increase of fat storage
6) Stronger lower back which in turn reduces the risk of lower back pains
7) Decrease the likelihood of varicose veins
8) Reduced chances of having a Caesarean birth
9) Higher chances of achieving labor either a few days earlier or on time
10) Exercise helps prepare the body for the stresses imposed by labor and delivery
Here are 5 DVDS to help keep you healthy and exercising while pregnant.