About two weeks ago I had a chance to visit Miami during ABFF. As you may have read in my previous article, my time covering the event wasn't the best. With the abundance of downtime, I had the opportunity to explore Miami. So, I complied a list of some of the hottest places to visit in Miami:
1. Hampton Inn & Suites (Midtown): This is a really great place to stay, instead of just visit. Although many choose to stay on South Beach, I enjoyed being away from all of the foot traffic.
Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Midtown, a new hotel in the up-and-coming arts district, is just 5 miles from downtown and 8 miles from Miami Airport. -http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com
The hotel has a beautiful modern appeal that made me feel right at home. The staff was extremely friendly, rooms were clean and the second floor is to die for. On the second floor, you have everything you need to make your stay more enjoyable. Who needs the beach, when you have a swanky pool to take pleasure in. There's also a workout facility and a lounge area that's great for reading, relaxing and working. The location of the hotel is very close to plenty of places to eat & shop. I will definitely stay here again during my next trip to Miami.
2. Limon y Sabor Peruvian Seafood: Located walking distance from my hotel, this restaurant is definitely a must-try when you go to Miami. It was a recommendation from the hotel staff. The menu is filled with authentic dishes that made my mouth water just looking at the pictures. I ordered the Peruvian Shrimp Fried Rice. My friend ordered Saltado de Pollo and we both added a side of plantains (sweet & fried). My taste-buds are still dancing thinking of the meals we indulged in. It was so good! The portions justify the price. We even had leftovers to munch on later in the day.
3. South Beach: This spot is Miami's main attraction. The locals think of it as a "tourist trap" but if you've never been to Miami, you have to experience South Beach just once. I went here during the evening hours and enjoyed the Havana vibe it gives off. No need to worry about where to eat or drink because there's plenty of places to choose from. It's right along the beach, hence the name, which provides breath taking views during the day while dining.
[Check out video here]
I checked out the popular "Mangos". They charged a nominal fee of $5 to get in. Once you're in the fun doesn't stop. They keep it entertaining with live music and shows, as well as, delicious drinks and food.
4. The Cafe at Books & Books: Kitty corner to the South Beach area Books & Books is in the historic Sterling Building on pedestrian Lincoln Road Mall, between Jefferson and Michigan Avenues. Although there are plenty of cafe's to choose from, I really liked the menu selection here. The menu is as eclectic and flavorful as South Beach itself, using only the finest quality, all-natural ingredients. Bold flavors, friendly service, generous portions, and affordable prices are all plenty of reasons to put The Café at Books & Books on Lincoln Road on your must-read list.
5. Lincoln Road Mall : After my tasty meal at Books & Books, I worked off my calories walking up and down Lincoln Road and shopped at their various stores. From Aldo to Y-3, they have stores from A-Z. If you stay too long, you might just break the bank.
Those were just a few places that I got to check out personally, however below are a few suggested hot spots from a local:
Malls: The New Brickell City Centre
I hope my list of hot spots helps you during your trip to Miami. Comment below and let me know a few additional places you like or recommend.
A Few Words From Spike Lee & Elise Neal At ABFF
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
My Honest Experience With ABFF 2017 In One Word: HORRIBLE!