There's an old saying - "When one door closes, another door opens....but it's a hell of a hallway." And I feel like I've been in the hallway for awhile.
It's less about worrying about an income (my sole freelance client is providing plenty of work) and more about moving forward. I have been submitting my resume, networking aggressively, and doing all of the necessary activities to move forward in my job search. Thankfully, I am seeing increased visits on my Linked In profile, mostly by recruiters and (possible) employers, with the occasional visit by "Anonymous Linked In User". It's slightly disheartening, but given that several of my colleagues are in years two and three of a search, I probably should not be too surprised. (In fact, considering that I have been able to maintain a survivable income is quite an accomplishment).
- Whenever I find myself wondering if freelancing should only be considered a "temp" gig, this Entrepreneur article suggests that it's a growing trend...and maybe something I should consider as more of an "ongoing" career path
- As you may know, I help organize the Chicago Net Tuesday group, and we're putting together a two-part series on non-profit analytics on February 14th and March 13th. If you would like more details and/or want to RSVP, please visit http://www.meetup.com/Net2Chi
- Just in time for Valentine's Day, the Linked In blog has some great strategies for landing your dream job....and dream partner. (Although if you read this after February 14th....you may be out of luck on the former)
- The 501 Tech Club is sponsoring their first meetup on February 23rd at 6:00 pm, and are offering an Amazon Gift Card as a prize for getting the most people to RSVP. Visit http://501techclubchicagofebruary.eventbrite.com/ for more details.
- Personal favorite post I've read this week: Corn on the Job's piece on looking for "red flags" when considering a job. I can think of one example in my recent past that comes to mind; I did not get the position (obviously), but it's a good reminder that I am not my job.
- If you're looking for a mix of traditional and "speed" networking, you may want to consider attending Cutting Edge's February 13th event at Jak's Pub. Please head to this link for more information and to RSVP.
- Another thing to consider when job seeking - evidence seems to indicate that having flexible hours may improve performance on the job.
But that's enough from me - please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments below, and I'll be sure to answer them. For more information about me (including a variety of online pieces, social media channels, etc), please visit http://www.gordondymowski.com
Thanks for reading!