Al Capone's North Avenue allies

IMG_7681

1921 W. North Avenue, where Patsy Lorlordo was murdered on January 8, 1929.

Every thing known about Al Capone and the booze wars boiled down to control. Al Capone controlled the South Side and parts of the West Side of Chicago. The North Side was controlled by what remained of the Dion O'Banion gang, led by George "Bugs" Moran. But, Al Capone did have North Side allies.

One of those allies was Pasqualino "Patsy" Lolordo, the new Chicago head of the Unione Siciliana, a national fraternal and social welfare group Italian organized crime controlled. Pastsy and his wife lived in an apartment of the building he owned at 1921 W. North Avenue. On January 8, 1929, shortly after he was chosen as the head of the organization, Patsy Lorlordo was shot and killed in the apartment by three guests while his wife and housekeeper did chores in the kitchen. It was presumed Bugs Moran ordered the murder.

Being the Chicago head of the Unione was not a very healthy choice since Patsy's predecessor, Antonio "The Scourge" Lombardo was also shot and killed. Lombardo, an associate of Capone was killed a few months earlier after refusing to turn the organization over to Joey Aiello, an associate of the Bugs Moran.

About one block east at 1857 W. North Avenue, is the former site of the Circus Cafe. The Circus cafe gang used the place as their headquarters. The gang was run by Claude Maddox, another associate of Capone. The gang was considered a recruiting and training arm of the Capone gang. Vincent De Mora (Machine gun Jack McGurn) and future leader of the syndicate, Tony "Joe Batters" Accardo" were young members of the gang. It is also known that the Circus Cafe Gang were Capone's armorers and stored weaponry for Capone.

IMG_7685

1857 W. North Avenue, former site of the Circus Cafe and headquarters of the Circus Cafe Gang.

IMG_7703

Garage at 1723 N. Wood Street, where the car used in the St. Valentine's Day massacre was found burning and partially dismembered.

It was claimed that members of the Circus Cafe Gang helped with the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre. They allegedly provided the arms for the killers. This came to light after the Cadillac used in the massacre was found burning in this garage at 1723 N. Wood Street, along with other evidence. The fire was the result of one or more persons using a torch to cut the car up and eventually scrap it. It is thought that the car caught fire while being dismembered. The garage is one block east and a block and a half north of the Circus Cafe.

A raid on the Circus Cafe found magazine drums for Thompson Submachine guns and pistols hidden under coats. Maddox was brought in for questioning, but released when it was determined he was in court on an unrelated charge when the massacre happened.

The Circus Cafe Gang eventually faded away, though Claude Maddox was a powerful member of Chicago's underworld until his death at age 60 in his home. His wake was attended by the syndicate leaders and reportedly was under surveillance by the F.B.I.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment