There's no doubt that the fishing industry is one of the largest in the country.
Here are some interesting facts from the Americal Sportfishing Association.
- There are approximately 60 million anglers in the U.S. of which 46 million are estimated to fish in a given year.
- One of every four anglers fishes in saltwater. No wonder there's more Bass Pro Shops in Florida than in any other State. (surrounded by water.)
- Fishing tackle sales grew over 16 percent in the past five years.
- Since 2006, angler numbers grew 11 percent.
- More Americans fish than play golf (21 million) and tennis (13 million) combined.
- If fishing were a company, the amount spent by anglers to support fishing-related retail sales would rank number 51 on the Fortune 500™ list.
- Fishing generated more revenue ($48 billion) than Lockheed Martin ($47 billion), Intel ($44 billion), Chrysler ($42 billion) or Google ($38 billion).
- The economic activity generated by sportfishing is greater than the economy, measured in Gross State Product, of 17 states.
- At more than 46 million anglers, more than twice the number of people fished in 2011 than attended every NFL game combined
Interesting isn't it?
Filed under: Outdoor News
Tags: Asian carp, bass, bass baits, Bass Fishing, Boulder Junction, Bowfishing, Crappie Fishing, Don Dziedzina, fishing, fishing line, Frabill, FRV Muskies Inc, ice fishing, IHSA Bass Fishing, IL DNR, Illinois Outdoors, illinois river, MarCum, muskie fishing, Outdoor News, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye Fishing