Cure Those Winter Blues at the Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show
What Chicago will enjoy this coming January will be new hands-on education, specials on hundreds of boats, RVs and marine accessories, and several new attractions, there’s no better place for outdoor enthusiasts to prepare for summer fun than at the 2012 Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show, January 12-16 at McCormick Place. With the addition of interactive activities like scuba diving and paddlesports, plus returning favorites and an expanded educational lineup covering everything for land lubbers and boaters, the 2012 boat show offers an ideal one-stop-shop and winter escape for all things outdoors.
“The Progressive Insurance Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show offers visitors a summer escape and a unique opportunity to find products for any outdoor adventure, and for every lifestyle and budget,” said Keith Ogulnick, show manager. “With the region’s top dealers offering the best deals on boats and RVs, plus new educational seminars and fun attractions for anyone who enjoys the outdoors, there’s no better winter destination to discover why life is better with a boat or RV!”
There’s no shortage of family fun at the Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show with top notch special attractions including:
* NEW! Fred's Shed, DIY Seminars & Interactive Learning Center – Watch, learn and do! Do-it-yourselfers or boat owners interested in maintaining, repairing or upgrading their boat or engine can head to Fred's Shed for practical, professional advice. Free, daily seminars and talk-show format clinics cover a variety of topics, and include demos and question/answer sessions. Together, “The Boating Guy” and certified marine service technician “Fred, The Outboard Doctor,” bring more than 50 years of boating and ‘wrench-slinging’ experience to the Shed. Stop by to see a cutaway boat and motor, participate in hands-on clinics and interactive Q&A sessions.
* NEW! Power Boat Docking Challenge ─ New and experienced boaters can become more confident behind the helm at the Power Boat Docking Challenge. This interactive experience pits show participants against one another, who compete against the clock, steering and docking a 4-ft, twin engine, remote-controlled power boat from an actual life-size boat helm down a 20-ft.pool into a marina and ultimately a slip, for a chance to win a host of prizes.
* NEW! Learn to SCUBA! ─ Dive into the world of SCUBA right inside McCormick Place! Anyone age 10 and older can discover this fun and exciting sport in the comfort of a heated pool at the new World of Scuba exhibit. Scuba instructors will explain basic dive rules and skills, then head underwater with attendees. All necessary equipment, including wet suits, will be provided, and is FREE for all participants! Those looking to learn more about SCUBA out of the water can attend daily presentations about diving in the Great Lakes and much more.
* NEW! PaddleFest ─ See and learn everything needed to get started in the exciting world of paddlesports. From kayak fishing to stand up paddleboarding, experts will be on hand to demonstrate why these healthy outdoor activities are all the rage. FREE kayak and paddleboard demos will be offered throughout the show on an indoor pool to test out kayaks, fishing kayaks, canoes and stand up paddleboards.
* NEW! Boating for Beginners, Boating on a Budget – The new Welcome to the Water Center is a must-attend for boaters just getting started who want to learn how to make the most of their time on the water, and for those with smaller budgets. Highlights include:
- Expert, unbiased advice and free daily seminars from “The Boating Guy”
- Local resources to help new boaters navigate their boating lifestyle
- Boating on a Budget Showcase: Think owning a boat is out of reach? Visitors can research and shop a variety of boats that can be financed for $250 or less per month.
* Rail Jam – Back by popular demand in its second year, this action-packed stunt show is can’t-miss with professional wakeboarders performing flips and tricks over a 100-ft. pool – right on the show floor. Get an up close view of the action as riders blast 20-ft airs off the kicker. (produced by Step Up Productions)
* Ultimate Camp Cooking Show – Ultimate Camp chefs and comedians, Pat Mac and Mike Faverman, return to teach visitors how to cook and grill with the right supplies on a budget to create healthy campground cuisine. Check out demonstrations on how to get the best out of a Dutch oven, grill, foil wrap, and stove top cooking infused with humor. (sponsored by Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service, Trailer Life Directory and the Good Sam Club)
* Huck Finn Trout Pond – A favorite for children and parents alike, the show offers FREE fishing for kids 12 and under at the Huck Finn Trout Pond, stocked with rainbow trout.
* And once again on the Boat Show opening night, Thursday January 12, a special 1 hour remote radio show broadcast of the Fishing and Outdoor Radio Show. Co-hosts Jim DaRosa, Ray Ludkevicz and yours truly, Don Dziedzina will be talking to several of the exhibitors from the Boat Show including getting all the show details from a Show Staff member. The show will air on Thursday night from 6:30 to 7:30 PM on WCSJ AM 1550, WCSJ FM 103.1, WSPY FM 107.1, WSPY AM 1480, and WSQR AM 1180.
When: NEW DATE PATTERN! Thursday through Monday, January 12 - 16, 2012
Thursday, January 12: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Friday, January 13: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, January 14: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sunday, January 15: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day), January 16: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Where: McCormick Place – North Building, 2301 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago
See you at the Boat Show!!!