Andersonville was alive today in spite of the rain. I melt when my bangs get wet, so after the parade we skipped the free pig roast in lieu of farfalle pasta with homemade pesto. Yum! I was only in for the pig roast for the freak factor anyway.
On to the pesto. I like this dish because it is pure and wholesome, like me*. Except for the noodles, pesto is raw. It is also vegan, fresh, organic and if you're careful, it has the magic five-or-less ingredients that make food snobs swoon.
- Gather a cup of packed basil. Grow your own, or cheat and grab it at the Jewel
- Put 1/2 cup of pine nuts in the blender until crushed
- Add the basil, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup water, tablespoon of garlic and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Whirred it up until it's a pretty green
- Toss with cooked pasta and EAT, friend. (Add salt & pepper to taste, of course.)
Jenna Karvunidis is a Chicago-area writer, opinion-giver, sewer, crafter, on-camera talent, boo-boo kisser and wishes the demise of the term "mommy blogger". She may be reached at email@example.com, on twitter @HighGlossSauce or found picking play dough out of her sofa.