Ingredients: Makes 8-10 Servings
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped garlic
2 cups peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes, well drained (about 2 ½ pounds of tomatoes)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 ½ tablespoons black olive (garnish)
½ tablespoon parsley (garnish)
1/3 cup olive oil (drizzle as garnish)
8 ounces softened goat cheese
1 tablespoon half and half
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium high heat; add the onions, salt and pepper.
3. Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute.
5. Place tomatoes, sherry and butter in pan, cook until soft but not mushy (hot), about 5 minutes. Set aside.
6. Mix all ingredients for goat cheese in a small bowl until creamy.
7. Using a 9” pie pan, form a disk with the goat cheese mixture.
8. Spoon tomato mixture around the disk.
9. Bake at 400º approximately 15 minutes until cheese starts to melt.
10. Sprinkle with black olives and parsley. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over top.
11. Serve with homemade garlic toasts.
1 baguette cut into ¼” slices (24)
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Cut baguette into thin slices, ¼” thick.
3. Brush both sides with olive oil.
4. Bake 350º for 10 minutes.
5. Rub clove of garlic on one side of toast.
6. Sprinkle with paprika.
7. Set aside for later use.
Chef notes: Youu may prepare the tomato mixture ahead of time and refrigerate until serving. (Gently warm in microwave or oven before spooning with goat cheese.)