Last week, the gossip mill was a-swirling with rumors (again) that Jon Hamm would be cast as the Man of Steel in the David Goyer-scripted, Chris Nolan-supervised reboot of Superman that's currently in pre-production. Even Regis and Kelly got in on it, asking Hamm about the rumor when he was on their show promoting The Town.
No word yet on whether the script is complete or if Nolan will direct, but people are alrady buzzing about casting. Seems like Brandon Routh won't be returning, but what about Hamm? He denies that he's been offered the part, saying he's too old, but I disagree (and so does Kevin Smith). I'm all for it. Maybe if the Internet community unites, we can get Hamm the role like we got Betty White to host SNL.
Here's why I think Hamm would be awesome:
- He's got the chiseled good looks
- He's got the right build - tall and lean now, but if he put on some muscle - he'd be perfect
- He can do comedy and drama - did you see him dancing in that Emmy Glee parody?
- He has range - his character on Mad Men, Don Draper, is nothing like him in real life
- He's been nominated for several Emmys for Oustanding Lead Actor in a Drama
- His goofy turn on 30 Rock was a virtual audition for Clark Kent
- An older, adult Superman is just what the reboot needs - Hamm is only, what, 39?
- He did that Funny or Die sketch where he played Lex Luthor, explaining why he needs a bailout from the government, so he's familiar with Supes' nemesis
- Ample opportunity for product placement - Jon Hamm's "John Ham", anyone? No, okay, how 'bout "Ham and Buble"?
- Maybe Sergio will make a cameo
What do you think?