My husband and I have been married for 17 years and we have two amazing daughters ages 12 and 14. He has been an active Dad since the beginning. While I was pregnant with each child, he would lay next to my stomach and read to the baby in the womb. He was never a slacker with changing diapers and if he could have breast fed the kids, he probably would have. I am very lucky to have a husband that loves his kids the way he does. Here are some of the things that my husband enjoys doing for his girls.
1) Setting the standard for how they should expect to be treated by any male in their life
2) Motivating them to do their very best
3) Encoraging them to try again when they fail
4) Spending quality time talking and playing with them
5) Teaching them to be nice people
6) Coaching their soccer team
7) Making them understand that they matter and are important
8) Teaching them that hard work is required
9) Giving them a strong family foundation
10) Learning to love the people they are evolving into
11) Telling them that he will always be here for them
12) Showing them and telling them that he loves them
Every father has a responsibility to his children. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fathers that don't accept that responsibility. There are things that boys need from their Dad and there are things that girls need from their Dad. Never underestimate the power and the influence of a Dad in a child's life.
Happy Father's Day to all of the good and bad Dads!