Peanuts will be coming to theaters sometime in 2015. You can watch the trailer above. A huge Peanuts fan, I'm of course slightly terrified at the thought of someone translating my favorite comic into a movie and butchering it, but the following excerpt from a Forbes article has calmed me down:
One unusual addition to the team is producer Paul Feig, a Hollywood force best known for producing Bridesmaids. His time as a executive producer on Freaks and Geeks suggests he has a nose for narratives built on a cast of misfits. Feig promises the Peanuts movie will stay true to the hand-drown comic strips and the classic TV specials. “Snoopy will not be rapping,” he says. “No one will be twerking, we’re in good hands.”
No twerking is definitely a step in the right direction.
It also got me thinking about what other comics I would love to see on the big screen. And no, for the love of Pogo, we don't need another Garfield film.
Below are the five comics I'd most like to be seen turn into a movie:
1. Calvin and Hobbes – Would never happen, would probably be disastrous if it did, but – oh – if it was pulled off well.
3. Get Fuzzy – It would all hinge on who voiced Bucky Katt. And more importantly, that person not being Martin Short.
4. Pearls Before Swine – But only if Ricky Gervais plays the artist.
5. Ziggy – It would be the greatest existential movie of all time.
• Joe Grace is a longtime journalist and writer who lives in the Chicago suburbs. Please support Going for Gusto by liking the Facebook page at Facebook.com/GoingForGusto. You can write to Joe at email@example.com.
IF YOU LIKED THIS, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Five movies based on YA books that wish they made it to their 'Breaking Dawn'
SUBSCRIBE: Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. Spam free, and you can opt out at any time.