This week at Going for Gusto, we're celebrating Mayan Apocalypse Week. Supposedly, the Mayan calendar predicted that the world is going to end Friday, Dec. 21. Or there's going to be a big party. Or something. It's all very confusing.
While nobody really believes this is going to happen, it does give us a chance to reflect on how we might want to spend our final week on Earth if we knew that was all we had. And as the shooting at Sandy Hook reminded us so clearly, we are never promised tomorrow. So, this week, we'll be going through a thought exercise of sorts by examining those things that are most dear to us. The questions we'll be answering are as follows:
Monday: What one place would you go this week if the world ended Friday?
A few of my fellow bloggers at ChicagoNow are joining me this week as we explore these questions. You can add your answers, as well, either in the comments below or on the Going for Gusto Facebook page. On to today's question:
WHAT ONE PLACE WOULD YOU GO THIS WEEK IF THE WORLD ENDED FRIDAY?
Joe Grace (Going For Gusto): I would either want to go hiking through the mountains or hanging out at a beach somewhere with my wife and close family and friends. The place doesn't matter so much as the company, though I would want to be away from any city.
Margaret Bogenrief (Sex & Money): The Metallurgical Laboratory at University of Chicago, where Enrico Fermi created the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction. If those people can make a nuclear bomb, surely they can figure out a way for me to survive, post-apocalypse.
- (A recent post from Margaret you might enjoy: Can Stay-at-Home Moms Be Feminist?)
Kim Strickland (A City Mom): If I knew the world was going to end on Friday, I would want to stay home and spend the entire week with my husband and kids. And chocolate. And pizza. And ice cream. And really, really good red wine.
- (A recent post from Kim you might enjoy: What you can do about the Sandy Hook school shooting)
Curtis Shaw Flagg (As I See It): I'd finally go to Hershey, Pa.
- (A recent post from Curtis you might enjoy: Sandy Hook Shooting Sparks Twitter Shutdown For Neighboring ESPN Network)
Shannan (Tween Us): In terms of where I'd go, it's super cheesy, but I'd go to Disney World with my family. We've made some really great memories there, it's warmer than Chicago and I like the idea of a place where I don't have a lot responsibility. Why not hit the happiest place on Earth while we still can?
- (A recent post from Shannan you might enjoy: Letter to Santa: I may be grown up, but I still believe in you)
Now it's your turn. Submit your answer to this question in the comments below or at the Going for Gusto Facebook page.
To read the rest of the Mayan Apocalypse Week series, click here.
• Going for Gusto is a blog by Joe Grace. Columns, videos, lists and quick thoughts posted throughout the week. Send questions, comments and blog ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.