After a long year's wait, International Talk Like a Pirate Day once again is here. And while – since I just finally watched The Dark Knight Rises last night – I'd probably prefer International Talk Like Bane Day, I'm still happy I can get away with saying "shiver me timbers" at any point today without consequence. (That's not really true, but I'm OK with the consequence of people looking at me weird.)
For those who might need some tips on how best to sound like a pirate, there are plenty from pop culture to choose from. Below I listed the ones that I think would be most fun to mimic on International Talk Like a Pirate Day:
5. Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean series: Fun, but – honestly – this impression might work better on International Talk Like a Drunk Day.
4. Painty the Pirate from Spongebob Squarepants: Ohh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea …
3. Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball: Really, what everybody who participates in International Talk Like a Pirate Day sounds like anyway.
2. Captain James Hook in Hook: Dustin Hoffman was easily the best Captain James Hook ever. Eccentric. Self-doubting. And yelling Smee! is always a delight.
1. Hector Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean series: The best pirate voice ever. "You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You're in one!" Love it!
• Joe Grace is a writer and journalist who lives in Chicago with his wife. Gar! Avast! Matey! Doubloon! Be sure to add yer favorite pirate down below in the comments or I'll make ya walk the plank! Arrgghh!
PREVIOUS POST: The NFC West: The best conference in the NFL?
IF YOU LIKED THIS, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Five easy ways you can celebrate National Day of Encouragement today
Filed under: Lists