Is starting a gluten free diet one of your 2013 New Year's resolutions? Or, trying to nurse a champagne hangover perhaps? Either way, this hearty breakfast will give you the energy you need to face your first day of the new year - even it involves laying on the couch most of the day.
New Year's Day Breakfast Casserole (Gluten Free)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed (Ore-Ida brand is gluten free)
- 1 lb. country sausage (Hormel Black Label mild spice sausage is gluten free and MSG free)
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (to make dairy free, substitute Daiya cheddar style shreds)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms, red pepper, and spinach, sauteed
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk (to make dairy free, substitute unsweetened almond milk or soy milk)
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place hash browns in a layer along the bottom. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage until crumbled. Remove sausage and drain on a paper towel. Reserve some of the sausage fat in the skillet, and saute. Place the vegetables and sausage on top of hash browns. Sprinkle cheese shreds on top of sausage.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Pour egg-milk mixture over potatoes, cheese, and sausage, ensuring that egg mixture permeates the dish. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes. Serves 4-6.
Looking for other yummy brunch options for a gluten free New Year's Day brunch? I love big breakfasts, so here are a few other items to add to your menu:
- Fresh fruit smoothies
- Muffins (blueberry, pumpkin bread)
- Pancakes (pumpkin, banana nut)
- Fluffy French Toast, Paula Deen's (Lightened Up) French Toast
- Vegetable Quiche
Tags: brunch, brunch ideas, cheddar cheese, dairy free, dairy free breakfast casserole, daiya non-dairy cheese, eggs, french toast, gladly gluten free, gluten free, gluten free breakfast casserole, gluten free pancakes, gluten free pumpkin bread, hash browns, Hormel, muffins, mushroom, New Year's Day, Ore Ida hash browns, pancakes, quiche, red pepper, sausage, smoothie, spinach