Here are 6 ways to lose one pound a week. Most of America has some reason to be concerned about weight loss. Collectively speaking, we’re in dire need of shedding a few pounds. Unfortunately, the daunting challenge of losing 20, 40, 60+ pounds is, well…overwhelming. Sure, we can do all sorts of crazy diets that have the potential to drop five or even ten pounds a week. But we aren’t living on The Ranch and life isn’t The Biggest Loser. Instead, we need to take things one pound and attime.
In no way am I suggesting that the success of those on The Biggest Loser isn’t real, and the work that was put into getting the participants into shape wasn’t there. The reality, however, is that most of us have to do it on our own. And we can.
A pound is equivalent to 3500 calories. Here are a few ways to shave or save those calories that might otherwise end up around your waistline.
- Starchy Carb Speed Bump: Instead of having starches with every meal, curb them to one meal a day. Starches include toast, bagels, muffins, sandwich bread/wraps, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.
Save yourself ~ 480 calories daily/3360 calories weekly
- Level Off Liquid Calories: Soda isn’t the only culprit when it comes to weight gain. Other unsuspecting beverages are often much more caloric with even more sugar than a can of cola. A single medium size coffee house specialty drink or medium smoothie can easily add 400+ sugar fixed calories. Add in a little juice, soda or even a sports drink and you’re tipping the scales.
Save yourself ~ 500 calories daily/3500 calories weekly
- Snack Smarter: Instead of reaching for a serving or two of nutrient-void chips, pretzels, candy or cookies, go for fresh vegetables or fruit instead. If you’re really hungry, pair them with a little cheese, a handful of raw nuts or even some hummus.
Save yourself ~450 calories daily/3150 calories weekly
- Spin Vigorously: Take a ride in a Spinning class for 45 minutes most days of the week. Let loose with tough intervals (like this workout) and feel the calories melt away.
Burn off ~580 calories per class/3483 calories over six classes.
- Run Fast: Easier said than done, I know, but each and every one of us has a FAST pace. Find yours and push yourself doing intervals (like this workout) for 45 minutes most days of the week. You’ll open up your lungs, boost muscular endurance AND burn, baby, burn!
Burn off ~688 calories per run/3442 calories over five runs.
- Adjust Your Activity: The little day-to-day things we do make the biggest difference in our lifestyle. Try a combo like this: walk vigorously an extra 30 minutes a day every day (1230 calories), weed your garden for 30 minutes once a week (200 calories), clean your house for 30 minutes three times a week (200 calories), stretch for 15 minutes every day (700 calories), go for a swim for 30 minutes twice a week (400 calories), take a Zumba class once a week (540 calories), jump rope for five minutes a day, five days a week (300 calories).
Burn off ~3570 per week of activity!
Note: Activity-based calorie burn is based on a 150 pound person. The more you weigh, the more you burn. The less you weigh, the less you burn.
Interested in working with Traci? She works privately with clients specializes in nutrition coaching and weight loss as well as functional fitness and personal training. All sessions are done via Skype or telephone if outside of Chicago. For more information, contact Traci here. Want more tips like this? Connect with Traci on Facebook. She’d love to see you there!
Looking for a simple way to get into great shape and eat right? Try Traci’s 40-Day Shape Up! It's a simple 40-day plan that lays a diet and exercise plan that's right or your body type, lifestyle and fitness level!