I have written blogs for four years for numerous news agencies. As a former reporter, author and journalism major, I am always looking for news worthy material or tips that my readers can benefit from. The rule has been in the past that a successful blog post should be 80% information and no more than 20% opinion.
This is no longer the case.
The most popular blog posts that go viral have similar elements that make them go viral attracting millions of “views” in a couple of days. There are reasons for this that makes a post stand out from the already crowded internet blog highway that everyone it seems has something to say.
So, what makes the blog post go viral?
- Create a catchy, fun name for your site.
- It helps when a blog is affiliated with a news media source, like the Chicago Tribune Media or AOL/Huffington post. These organizations have a brand in place and are optimized correctly to attract larger numbers of people than you can do on your own.
- Successful blogs have an active list of followers on the social media sites, such as Facebook & Twitter. The author of the blog works hard to develop their social media profile.
- Being a good writer is a real plus. It amazes me how many people write blogs who are not good writers. A post must have a good story line and purpose to be well-written.
- Choose a seductive heading that makes its stand out. Swear words with *** are always good, as are clever sexual references, sports facts, celebrity encounters/interviews, fashion and “mommy” advice.
- Write on topical subjects of the moment to catch some of the audience and news-worthy information.
- Use humor to engage your reader and to build an audience. People love to laugh and one reason to even read a blog post is for laughter.
- Offer information that is ground-breaking and unique.
- Post short videos & pictures whenever possible on your blog.
Most of us that write blogs will never get a “viral” post, yet if we touch just one person, it makes it all worth the time spent writing these words.