Are you a fan of any of the following: Firefly, Serenity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Horrible, Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods, the recent Avengers movie, Toy Story, episode one of Written by a Kid...? If you see the pattern, you're a Joss Whedon fan... and you officially have plans for Saturday. It's Can't Stop the Serenity 7, presented by the Chicagoland Browncoats!
Can't Stop the Serenity is an annual movie screening (and more!) for charity. For $15, you get:
- An improv comedy episode of Firefly. You know you have the perfect title in your head already!
- The ever-entertaining costume contest, which covers every Whedon fandom.
- Access to a silent auction with dozens of Whedonesque items- Blu-ray sets, autographs, comics, t-shirts, tickets to local shows/places, housewares, and more- right down to the infamous Jayne hat!
- Serenity on the big screen in a gorgeous, vintage theater.
- Yours truly, dressed as Saffron, hosting the event with a dead ringer for Captain Mal Reynolds.
I know the geek population is financially recovering from Dragon*Con and Worldcon. However, Equality Now (Whedon's favorite charity) and The House of the Good Shepherd (a local women's shelter) are worthy causes.
The event starts at 6PM at the Portage Theater. Please come. It's going to be a mighty fine shindig.
Can't Stop the Serenity. Saturday, September 8th, 6PM. Portage Theater, 4050 N. Milwaukee. $15.
If you aren't interested in the above, please still consider donating a wish list item to The House of the Good Shepherd.