I have a very awesome, much-anticipated press event to get to, so I am going to type this GEEKend's local events AS FAST AS I CAN!!
1. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Presented by the World of Weird Monster Show, a live cast is doing the Timewarp in Wilmette. Costumes and participation are encouraged. Prop kits will be on sale for $3, if you're the type (I am!). My favorite character to dress up as is Janet. ;) If you miss this one, no worries! The group performs the cult hit on the second Friday of each month. (TONIGHT, Friday, June 8th, 9:30 PM. The Wilmette Theatre, 1122 Central, Wilmette. $10.)
2. Zombie Disco 3 - This undead party is rising in Chicago for the third time. Put on your best face (or lake thereof) for Zombie Twister, a Costume Contest, and a Dance-off. Other features include drink specials, a photobooth, and art on display. Don't know how to do zombie makeup? No worries! Professionals will be on-hand to make you look your worst. (TONIGHT, Friday, June 8th, 10PM. Neo, 2350 Clark. $10.)
3. 72 Pins Video Game Art Show - The folks at theYetee.com (one of those daily t-shirt sites) are putting up a video game-themed gallery. Check it out, especially if you couldn't see OhNo!Doom's gaming show a few months back. One big win for Yetee: They are going to have at least one Earthbound/Mother 2 piece. FAVORITE. And giiirl, look at that Big Daddy! ;P (Saturday, June 9th, 6-10PM. 33 S. Stolp, basement. FREE.)
4. Meet the Co-Founder/Creator of Siri - We've all asked Siri to do something absurd, impossible, or downright dirty. Let's be professional for a second, readers, and join Crain Chicago's Tech Talk for a meet-and-greet/Q&A with Dag Kittlaus. He's one of the main brains behind Apple's voice recognition feature for iPhone, Siri. Dag will be talking about the tech industry in Chicago vs. California. Best of all, there will be snacks. And networking. Networking and snacks. <3 (Monday, June 11th, 6-8:30 PM. Ravenswood Event Center, 4025 N. Ravenswood. $49. Get Tickets.)
5. Sci-Fi & Fantasy Book Club #33 - The Chicago Nerd Social Club is at it again, this time discussing Locke & Key vol. 1 by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. It's a graphic novel, so you can still burn through it before the weekend is over! (Monday, June 11th, 6:30-8PM. Filter, 1373-75 N Milwaukee. FREE.)
All right, I'm out! I can't share details about where I'm going JUST yet... but if you're feeling stalker-y, I've already said too much on the GGC Facebook.
NEXT TIME: A review of Geek Girl Cosmetics!