I'm posting twice in a day. Either I'm home alone on my couch, or it's an exciting day to be a geek! ...or both. It's both.
This time, I'm yapping about Cyphan. It's a sci-fi and fantasy convention this weekend at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. If you've never been to a con before, smaller events like this one are perfect to get your feet wet. I know the guy that founded Cyphan, and he's determined to make the event extremely fan and family-oriented. At one point, he asked the Facebook community what they'd most like to see the budget spent on!
What ended up on the schedule? Here are some favorites:
1. Celebs. There will be a reunion of classic Battlestar Galactica actors Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, and Herb Jefferson, Jr. for old-school geeks. Other guests include Robert Picardo, Chase Masterson, Nicki Clyne, and more... even local icon Svengoolie!
2. Klingons. There's a Klingon wedding that, as far as I can tell, involves folks getting hitched for realsies. I'll just watch, thank you! There's also a Klingon music class for kids. buy' ngop!
3. A first-year Independent Film Festival
4. A Steampunk-inspired circus show by Chicago's own Forms in Motion
5. Lots and lots of panels on prop-building and costuming.
This is just the tip of the iceberg; the event spans the whole weekend. I'll be there early Friday and Saturday doing photo coverage and maybe even snagging a few interviews. Don't know who to look for? Check out Senator Padme Amidala in this Cyphan promo video. ...No, I won't be wearing that.
CYPHAN: Friday the 29th through Sunday the 31st, Hyatt Regency O'Hare. A 1-day pass is $30, and a weekend pass $55.
PROTIP: To save a few bucks, park in the Rosemont Blue Line CTA lot and walk. See you there, Geek Girls and Guys. So say we all!!