As you know, the ZERO DOLLAR Experiment is all about having a Christmas holiday season that does not put your family into extreme debt. It is also about being green and recycling or reusing what you can to keep it out of the landfill. Why are we spending ourselves into deep debt at a time when many of us are losing our jobs, our homes, and more?
With enthusiasm, I have extended the experiment to include Christmas gift-wrap. In the United States, trash consumption from gift-wrap and shopping bags is estimated at over 4 million tons. Every year I would spend around $20 on wrapping paper, tape, and bows. First of all, need I tell you how non-green it is to use fancy-schmancy wrapping paper? In my opinion, it seems a complete waste of resources when we need wood pulp for so many other things. Hence extending this years ZERO DOLLAR Experiment to include wrapping paper.
WHERE THE FREE GIFT-WRAP COMES FROM -
Every week my mother-in-law comes over to my house for "Grandma Day". For nearly 7 years she has been bringing the Sunday Comic Strip over to my daughters to read on their special day with her. I save these comic strips for wrapping paper. If you or a neighbor gets a regular paper delivered, you can do the same thing.
In the photo above you also see ribbon which I got via Freecycle.org, tape I got from my friend John who had an overabundance and donated it to our cause, and greeting cards from last year. I cut the pretty picture "front" off the greeting card and use them as name tags and package labels for all the gifts.
TOTAL ESTIMATED VALUE IF I WERE TO BUY THESE THINGS NEW (based on my past spending) – $20.00
THE ZERO DOLLAR EXPERIMENT - HOW I DID IT --
All the gifts I am giving have been discovered on Freecycle.org, Craigslist.or, or have been given to me over the course of the last year for free. Everything was given to me at absolutely no cost, yet are great gifts that I am proud to give to others. Below are links to the previous gift lists and rules post -
- I posted the original outline on the rules I am using for the experiment here - ZERO DOLLAR Experiment
- I posted my first gift post where I show what I have spent for the helpers in my community - HELPER POST.
- I posted my second gift post where I show what I have spent for the friends and business workers who have helped me to wonderful things with my business - FRIEND POST.
- I posted my third post where I show what I have used as gift wrap - GIFT WRAP POST.
- I posted my fourth post where I show what I got our Mom's - MOM POST.
- I posted my fifth post on what I got the immediately family - FAMILY POST.