In this edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, Lucas Giolito earns his first major league win, the K's keep coming for Michael Kopech at Triple-A, 3B Jake Burger hits for the cycle and Arizona Fall League rosters are announced. In addition, we will update you on the rest of the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Arizona Fall League
Arizona Fall League rosters were announced and the White Sox are placing seven members of the organization on the Glendale Desert Dogs' roster. RHPs Matt Foster, Connor Walsh and Dylan Covey, LHP Jace Fry, C Seby Zavala, SS Danny Mendick and OF Tito Polo will represent the organization. Kannapolis pitching coach Matt Zaleski will serve as one of Glendale's pitching coaches.
Covey, a Rule 5 selection, has started eight games with the White Sox and has been on the disabled list for much of the season with with a strained left oblique. Foster has split his season as a relief pitcher with Kannapolis and Winston-Salem. Walsh's season has been split as a reliever for Birmingham and Charlotte. Fry, who missed the 2016 season due to Tommy John surgery, has worked out of the bullpen for Birmingham this season.
Zavala has had a breakout season offensively after being selected in the 2015 draft. He has a combined for more than 20 home runs and more than 70 RBI between Kannapolis and Winston-Salem. Mendick, also a member of the 2015 draft, has split his season between Winston-Salem and Birmingham. For more on Mendick, check out the Prospect Focus done by our own Matt Cassidy. Polo, currently on the disabled list at Birmingham, was acquired from the Yankees in July as part of the Todd Frazier, David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle trade.
- Released RHP Mark Lowe
- White Sox recalled RHP Giolito
- White Sox optioned RHPs Carson Fulmer and Brad Goldberg to Charlotte
- OF Jeff Gelalich was sent to AZL White Sox on rehab assignment; he was then assigned to Winston-Salem
- White Sox sent 3B Matt Davidson to Charlotte on rehab assignment; Davidson returned to Chicago after one game
- Disabled OF Jason Bourgeois
- White Sox selected the contract of C Rob Brantly from Charlotte
- C Chris O'Dowd assigned to Charlotte from Birmingham
- RHP Drew Hasler assigned to Charlotte from Winston-Salem
- LHP Brian Clark placed on temporarily inactive list, to be with his wife for the birth of their child (congrats!)
- Disabled LHP Ryan Riga
- Activated LHP Ian Clarkin from disabled list
- RHP Yosmer Solorzano assigned to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis
- RHP Matt Foster assigned to Kannapolis from Winston-Salem
- Activated CF Blake Rutherford from disabled list
- Disabled OF Micker Adolfo and RHP Blake Hickman; Hickman has since been activated
- OF Joel Booker assigned to Kannapolis from Winston-Salem
- Disabled OF Aaron Schnurbusch
- OF Craig Dedelow assigned to Great Falls from Kannapolis
- LHP Ryan Erickson assigned to Great Falls from AZL White Sox
AZL White Sox
- OF Anthony Coronado assigned to AZL White Sox from DSL White Sox
DSL White Sox
- No transactions
For the Record
- Charlotte went 4-5 over the last week-plus (57-78, 25.5 games back) that included a four-game losing streak. RHP Michael Kopech won his Charlotte debut following his promotion and has struck out 10 in 10 innings over two starts. The Knights season comes to a close September 4 following a seven-game homestand against Durham and Norfolk. Charlotte's 2018 season schedule was also recently released.
- Birmingham went 1-8 for the week (25-38 overall 2nd half, 18 games back) that included an eight-game losing streak that was snapped Monday. The Barons sit in last place in the Southern League North. Hansen struck out eight over five innings in his Barons debut, following his promotion to replace Kopech in the Barons starting rotation. Kopech was named to the Southern League Post-season All-Star squad. OF Eloy Jimenez is hitting at a .340 clip in 14 games for the Barons, while C Zack Collins is hitting .304 in 9 games since their promotions. The Barons are 51-81 overall for the season, as their season also comes to a close on September 4 after they complete their current homestand with Tennessee before finishing the season on the road at Mississippi.
- Winston-Salem went 3-3 for the week (29-34 overall 2nd half, 6.5 games back), good for fourth-place in the Carolina League Northern division. Hansen picked up a win in his final start for the Dash. Winston-Salem's overall record is 53-80. Despite a losing record, the Dash are the current attendence leader in high A ball as they eclipsed the 300,000 mark in their final home game to average 4,415 per game. The Dash finish their season with a seven-game road trip to Carolina and Salem.
- Kannapolis posted a 3-4 record for the week (27-36 overall 2nd half, 9 games back). Highlights of the week included a 10 strikeout performance by RHP Dylan Cease, Burger hitting for the cycle and C Evan Skoug homering twice in one game. OF Micker Adolfo has been named to the South Atlantic Post-season All-Star team. The I's complete their regular season following a seven-game road trip to Greensboro and Lakewood. The I's will compete in the post-season due to their first-half title and are currently 66-65 overall for the season.
- Great Falls remains in first place by four games (15-11 overall 2nd half) following a 5-3 week. RHP Kyle Von Ruden was named the Pioneer League Pitcher of the Week after throwing eight shutout innings in his only start of the week. Von Ruden ranks second in the league in ERA (3.56) and first in innings pitched (73.1). 3B Justin Yurchak has a .576 average (.350 overall) over his last 10 games with four home runs. 1B Anthony Villa has hit at a .389 clip (.328 overall) during the same stretch with three home runs and 13 RBI. Villa leads the PL in home runs. The Voyagers season doesn't end until September 9, as they have a home-and-home series with Helena before hosting Missoula over the weekend this week. Great Falls looks headed to the post-season as well, barring a major collapse over the next 10 days.
- The AZL White Sox have an overall record of 26-25, but currently are tied for first in AZ Central League standings with the AZL Dodgers with a 16-8 second half record with five games remaining in the regular season.
- The DSL White Sox have an overall record of 34-37 and sit in fifth-place in the Baseball City Division. OF Luis Robert is 7-17 with a home run in four games since returning from injury and is currently hitting .310 in 28 games.
In Case You Missed It
- Kopech will have an opportunity to win a spot in the White Sox 2018 rotation according to Amateur Scouting Director Nick Hosteler in a recent interview on 670 The Score.
- Giolito earned his first major league win on Sunday over Detroit with seven innings of scoreless baseball.
- The Tribune's Colleen Kane caught up with first round pick Jake Burger following his 'unbelievable' five-hit performance that included hitting for the cycle last week.
- CSN's Dan Hayes caught up with newly acquired 1B Casey Gillaspie at Charlotte.
- The Knights are looking to fend off Indianapolis and Columbus to retain the highest minor league attendence title for 2017. Charlotte has won the attendence crown the past three seasons.
- Hostetler on Jimenez: "Offensively, there's not anything he can't do!"
- Birmingham OF Hunter Jones made yet another of his patented diving circus catches on Monday.
- Kannapolis has also released its 2018 season schedule.
- Check out the most recent FutureSox Prospect Hot List by Matt Cassidy.
- CSN's Dan Hayes tweeted that Jimenez will play winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
- John Calvagno of Notes from the Sally wrote a piece on White Sox second round pick Gavin Sheets.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Aaron Schnurbusch, Alec Hansen, Anthony Coronado, Blake Hickman, Blake Rutherford, Bradley Goldberg, Brian Clark, Carson Fulmer, Chris O'Dowd, Connor Walsh, Craig Dedelow, Daniel Mendick, Drew Hasler, Dylan Covey, Hunter Jones, Ian Clarkin, Jace Fry, Jason Bourgeois, Jeff Gelalich, Joel Booker, Kyle Von Ruden, Mark Lowe, Matt Foster, Matt Zaleski, Michael Kopech, Micker Adolfo, Rob Brantly, Ryan Erickson, Ryan Riga, Seby Zavala, Tito Polo, Yosmer Solorzano