In this last day of July edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, we will take a look at how several pitchers in the organization are blowing batters away and the White Sox continue to trade veterans for prospects heading into today's trade deadline. In addition, we will update you on the rest of the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Throughout the organization this season, many of the White Sox top starting pitching prospects have been piling up the strikeouts at an eye-popping rate. RHPs Alec Hansen and Michael Kopech have been leading the way, but RHPs Dane Dunning, Reynaldo Lopez, Lucas Giolito and Spencer Adams, along with LHP Jordan Guerrero aren't far behind.
Hansen ranks fifth in the minor leagues with 138 punchouts (#10 in Ks/9 IP) in over 108 innings of work, that includes four outings with 10 or more strikeouts. Kopech leads the Southern League in strikeouts (126 Ks in 98 1/3 IP), has had three games of 10 or more Ks and ranks 12th in the minors in total strikeouts and 11th in K/9.
Dunning's 118 strikeouts in 105 innings ranks him 32nd overall in the minors (two games of 10 or more Ks), while Adams has posted two games of 10 or more Ks (96 total strikeouts in 121 2/3 IP). Guerrero ranks fourth in the SL for Birmingham with 117 Ks in 121 1/3 IP to rank 34th overall in the minors (including one 10 K outing).
Lopez (117 Ks in 111 IP) and Giolito (114 Ks in 111 IP) rank fourth and fifth in the International League for Charlotte, with both also ranking in the top 50 in all of minor league baseball. Giolito has posted two games of 10 or more Ks, while Lopez has four.
- OF Ryan Cordell and 1B Casey Gillaspie assigned to Charlotte
- White Sox recalled OF Willy Garcia and selected the contract of LHP Aaron Bummer from Charlotte
- OF Jacob May and Jason Bourgeois placed on temporary inactive list
- OF Jason Bourgeois activated from disabled list
- SS Eddy Alvarez, RHP Connor Walsh and OF Jeff Gelalich assigned to Charlotte from Birmingham
- Disabled 2B Tyler Ladendorf
- OF/IF Leury Garcia assigned to Charlotte for rehab assignment
- 2B Toby Thomas, LHP Kyle Kubat and RHP Jack Charleston assigned to Birmingham from Winston-Salem. Thomas ended up pitching in a 21-inning game this past week, with the infielder taking the loss.
- Disabled RHP Victor Diaz
- OF Louis Silverio assigned to AZL White Sox for rehab assignment
- 2B Sam Dexter and LHP Andre Wheeler activated from disabled list
- RHP Matt Foster assigned to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis
- Disabled C Daniel Gonzalez
- Activated C Casey Schroeder from disabled list
- RHP J.B. Olson assigned to Kannapolis from Great Falls
- RHP Kade McClure assigned to Great Falls from AZL White Sox
AZL White Sox
- OF Leury Garcia assigned to AZL White Sox for rehab assignment
- Released SS Ricky Mota
- 3B Ramon Beltre assigned to AZL White Sox from DSL White Sox
DSL White Sox
- Released RHP Yender Silva
For the Record
- Charlotte went 3-4 for the week (45-62 overall, 21 games back) and are currently on a four-game losing streak after winning the previous five games. Giolito turned in two strong pitching performances during the week, each lasting seven innings. In a win over Columbus, Giolito struck out six without allowing a run. In a loss to Scranton/Wilkes Barre, Giolito allowed three earned runs on only five hits. 2B Jake Peter has been leading the offense, as his 18-game hitting streak was recently snapped (9 games apiece with Birmingham and Charlotte), as he piled up 10 hits, three home runs and five RBI during the week. The Knights go to Durham for three games before finishing the week with three at home against Gwinnett.
- Birmingham went 3-3 last week (15-21 overall 2nd half, 12 games back) and sit in last place in the SL North. The top pitching performances for the week were Kopech's 12 strikeouts over six innings of one-run ball in a victory over Chattanooga and RHP Jordan Stephens striking out six batters and allowing only two runs in six innings of work in a victory over Pensacola. Birmingham continues its homestand against Pensacola before heading to Jacksonville later in the week.
- Winston-Salem posted a 2-5 week (16-20 overall 2nd half, 7.5 games back) and currently sit in fourth place in the Carolina League Northern Division. Dunning struck out six batters in seven scoreless innings in a win over Buies Creek and Hansen fanned 12 over six innings in a loss to Lynchburg. OF Eloy Jimenez homered twice during the week to lead the offense. The Dash are at home for the week against Salem (3 games) and Potomac (4 games).
- Kannapolis posted a 4-2 week (15-21 overall 2nd half, 6 games back) and currently sit in a tie for last place in the South Atlantic North Division. Pitching highlights for the week included RHP Blake Hickman throwing six scoreless innings with nine strikeouts in a win over Lexington and newly acquired RHP Dylan Cease striking out seven over five innings, while allowing only two runs in a shutout loss. First round pick 3B Jake Burger had back-to-back three hit games, while OF Alex Call posted a 4-4 game during the week. The I's stop at home for three games versus Delmarva before completing the week on the road at Greensboro.
- Great Falls completed the first half of their season in the Pioneer North with 15-23 overall record, following a 4-2 week (T-3rd, 4 games back) and opened up the second half with a loss. OF Craig Dedelow posted a strong week at the plate and currently ranks as the Voyagers leading hitter (.316), is tied for the team lead in home runs (9) and RBI (29), ranks second in runs scored (24) and leads the team in stolen bases (4). The Voyagers begin a seven-game homestand against Idaho Falls and Ogden later this week.
- The AZL White Sox have an overall record of 11-16 and finished tied for fourth in the Central Division in the first half of the short season.
- The DSL White Sox have an overall record of 20-27 and are tied for fifth in the Baseball City Division.
In Case You Missed It
- The White Sox continue to wheel and deal veterans for prospects. Here is some FutureSox analysis on the players received from the Kansas City Royals, the Tampa Bay Rays and the Milwaukee Brewers.
- MLBPipeline.com highlighted Sunday performances by Jimenez and Call.
- The Chicago Tribune's Colleen Kane highlighted Bummer following his MLB debut.
- The N.Y. Times highlighted how the White Sox have been adding layers to the talent level in the minor leagues.
- 2B Yoan Moncada hit his first major league home run off of Chicago Cubs RHP Jake Arrieta.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Aaron Bummer, Andre Wheeler, Casey Gillaspie, Casey Schroeder, Connor Walsh, Daniel Gonzalez, Eddy Alvarez, J.B. Olson, Jack Charleston, Jacob May, Jason Bourgeois, Jeff Gelalich, Jordan Stephens, Kade McClure, Kyle Kubat, Leury Garcia, Louis Silverio, Matt Foster, Ramon Beltre, Ricky Mota, Ryan Cordell, Sam Dexter, Toby Thomas, tyler ladendorf, Victor Diaz, willy garcia, Yender Silva