In this edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, we will check on the new prospects added to the organization from the Cubs and Yankees, several 2017 draft picks have been promoted and one top prospect is set to have season-ending surgery. In addition, we will update you on the rest of the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Following the two recent blockbuster trades by the White Sox, the organization added seven new players to the minor league ranks from the Cubs (OF Eloy Jimenez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose and 2B Bryant Flete) and the Yankees (OF Blake Rutherford, LHP Ian Clarkin and OF Tito Polo). You can read our detailed reports on the Sox/Cubs trade and the Sox/Yankees trade for more depth on the new acquisitions.
Jimenez, Rose, Flete and Clarkin were all assigned to Winston-Salem. In nine games with the Dash, the highly touted Jimenez is hitting .452, with five doubles, two home runs and 10 RBI. Rose is hitting .276, with two doubles, one home run and seven RBI in eight games, while Flete is hitting .324, with two doubles and two RBI in nine games. Clarkin pitched five innings, allowing two runs on five hits that resulted in a no-decision in his Dash debut.
Cease and Rutherford were assigned to Kannapolis. Cease is 0-2 with a 3.72 ERA (four runs over 9 2/3 innings) with 11 strikeouts in two starts. Rutherford drove in the winning runs in the I's win last Friday. Polo was assigned to Birmingham and is 3-13 in three games for the Barons.
- Released RHP Bobby Parnell and C Carson Blair
- RHP Danny Farquhar signed by Charlotte as a free agent
- Activated C Roberto Pena from disabled list
- Disabled RHP Michael Ynoa
- LHP Aaron Bummer, RHP Brandon Brennan and 2B Jake Peter assigned to Charlotte from Birmingham
- Disabled OF Jason Bourgeois
- White Sox recalled 2B Yoan Moncada and RHP Brad Goldberg from Charlotte
- RHP Jake Petricka assigned to Charlotte for rehab assignment
- LHP Will Lamb traded to Colorado Rockies organization
- White Sox have reportedly acquired RHPs Mark Lowe and Jean Machi from Tacoma of the Seattle organization for cash considerations and will be assigned to Charlotte
- RHP Brannon Easterling, RHP Drew Hasler, OF Tito Polo and SS Danny Mendick assigned to Birmingham from Winston-Salem
- LHP Ian Clarkin assigned to Winston-Salem
- RHP Kelvis Valerio assigned to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis
- Released OF Antonio Rodriguez and 2B J.J. Franco
- OF Blake Rutherford assigned to Kannapolis
- Disabled C Casey Schroeder
- RHP Tyler Johnson assigned to Kannapolis from Great Falls
- C Evan Skoug assigned to Kannapolis from AZL White Sox
- OF Alex Call assigned to Kannapolis from Winston-Salem disabled list (was in AZL on rehab physically)
- Released OF Hanleth Otano
- OF Logan Taylor, RHP Lincoln Henzman and 2B David Cronin assigned to Great Falls from AZL White Sox
AZL White Sox
- RHP Lincoln Henzman and SS Ricky Mota assigned to AZL White Sox
- INF Luis Curbelo (who had been out of action with a knee injury) and OF Felix Mercedes assigned to AZL White Sox from Great Falls
- LHP Ryan Riga assigned to AZL White Sox from Winston-Salem for rehab assignment
DSL White Sox
- RHP Yender Silva activated from disabled list
For the Record
- Charlotte went 2-6 for the week (42-58 overall, 19 games back) that included a six-game losing streak. The Knights have won their last two games over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Number one overall prospect Moncada upon his promotion to Chicago was leading the team in batting average (.282), runs scored (57), was tied for second in home runs (12), third in RBI (36) and second in stolen bases (17). The Knights are home for the week with four games versus Columbus and three against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Birmingham went 2-4 for the week (12-18 overall 2nd half, 11 games back) and sit in last place in the Southern League North. The two wins were back to back shutouts over Jackson that included an eight scoreless innings with eight strikeouts by RHP Michael Kopech. The Barons are on the road for five games at Chattanooga before heading home to face Pensacola.
- Winston-Salem posted a 2-4 week (14-15 overall 2nd half, 6.5 games back) and currently sit in second place in the Carolina League Northern division. The Dash ended a four-game losing streak with a 11-10 walk-off extra inning win Sunday over Salem. The other win of the week was a 3-0 shutout over Lynchburg that RHP Alec Hansen earned win after pitching 5 2/3 innings of one-hit ball with eight strikeouts. The Dash will spend this week on the road with three games at Buies Creek and four games at Lynchburg.
- Kannapolis turned in a 1-5 week (11-19 overall 2nd half, 6.5 games back) and currently sit the South Atlantic North Division. Newly acquired Rutherford is 5-17 with a double and two RBI in four games with the Intimidators. Seventh round pick Skoug had two hits in his Kannapolis debut. The I's complete their homestand versus Columbia before hitting the road for four games at Lexington.
- Great Falls struggled with a 1-6 week (11-22 overall, 5 games back) and sit in last place in the Pioneer North. 1B Anthony Villa has been the Voyagers' hottest hitter of late as he ranks second on the team in batting average (.300), first in runs (20), tied for first in home runs (7) and first in RBI (22). Great Falls continues their road trip with three games each at Grand Junction and Billings.
- The AZL White Sox have an overall record of 8-14 and sit in fourth-place in the Central Division.
- The DSL White Sox have an overall record of 15-26 and currently sit in last place in the Baseball City Division.
In Case You Missed It
- Kopech was named to MLBPipeline.com's Prospect Team of the Week following his dominant eight-inning performance.
- RHP Zack Burdi sees his 2017 season (and likely 2018) end as he is slated for Tommy John surgery.
- After Moncada's promotion to Chicago, all eyes are now on RHP Reynaldo Lopez, as he is expected to be the next top prospect headed to Chicago.
- Newly acquired top prospect Jimenez nearly hit for the cycle for Winston-Salem with a 5-6 performance.
- The Chicago Tribune's Dan McGrath wrote how the White Sox rebuild has roots in Charlotte and Birmingham.
- The Charlotte Knights have announced that they will become the Charlotte Caballeros for their August 18-20 home series against Lehigh Valley to honor one of the fastest-growing Hispanic populations in the country.
- Former White Sox infielder Craig Grebeck was inducted into the Birmingham Barons Hall of Fame over the weekend.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Aaron Bummer, Alex Call, Antonio Rodriguez, Blake Rutherford, Brandon Brennan, Brannon Easterling, Carson Blair, Casey Schroeder, Danny Farquhar, Danny Mendick, David Cronin, Drew Hasler, Evan Skoug, Felix Mercedes, Hanleth Otano, Ian Clarkin, Jake Peter, Jean Machi, Kelvis Valerio, Lincoln Henzman, Logan Taylor, Luis Curbelo, Mark Lowe, michael ynoa, Ricky Mota, Tito Polo, Tyler Johnson, Will Lamb, Yender Silva