In this pre-draft edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, a little insight on who the White Sox may draft in the first round of today's MLB draft, Michael Kopech has been named the North Division starter for the Southern League All-Star Game and Luis Robert is set to make his debut with the White Sox in the Dominican Summer League. In addition, we will get you caught up on the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Today marks the first day of the 2017 MLB draft, with the White Sox looking to add to their assortment of top prospects with the 11th pick in the first round. Much speculation has the White Sox linked to Vanderbilt OF Jeren Kendall with their top pick. Other names connected with the White Sox in the first round include Florida RHP Alex Faedo, North Carolina RHP JB Bukauskas, Kentucky prep OF Jo Adell, North Carolina prep OF Austin Beck, Virginia OF Adam Haseley and North Carolina SS Logan Warmoth.
The White Sox hosted several prospects last week for pre-draft workouts that included California prep SS Hunter Greene, San Diego C Riley Adams, Florida prep SS Chris Siese, Menlo College OF Jordan Getzelman and Beck, according to reports.
Baseball America, FanGraphs and Jim Callis of MLB.com have the White Sox selecting Kendall today, while ESPN's Keith Law predicts Bukauskas. The Daily Herald's Scot Gregor makes his case for why the White Sox should select Virginia 1B Pavin Smith if he is still available at number 11.
Now that you have the background, here's the most important link we can give you - visit our Draft Tracker throughout the week for updated picks, signing information and everything else you need to know about White Sox draft activity.
- RHP Bobby Parnell signed to a minor league deal, and assigned to Charlotte
- LHP Carlos Rodon sent on rehab assignment to Charlotte
- 2B Ronald Bueno assigned to Charlotte from Birmingham
- 2B Tyler Ladendorf disabled
- LHP Giovanni Soto activated from disabled list and then was released
- White Sox option OF Adam Engel and RHP Brad Goldberg to Charlotte
- 2B Jake Peter activated from disabled list
- 3B Trey Michalczewski and 1B Keon Barnum assigned to Birmingham from Winston-Salem
- OF Jeff Gelalich disabled
- 1B Telvin Nash assigned to Winston-Salem from Birmingham
- OF Courtney Hawkins assigned to Kannapolis from Birmingham on a rehab assignment
- RHP Victor Diaz disabled
- RHP Mick VanVossen assigned to Kannapolis
For the Record
- Charlotte's struggles continued during a 1-6 week (27-35 overall, 12 games out of first) that saw them snap a nine-game losing streak before ending the week with back-to-back losses. RHP Carson Fulmer picked up the only win of the week. The Knights return home for six games against Louisville and Indianapolis this week.
- Birmingham remains in last-place in the Southern League North Division following a 3-5 week (22-40 overall, 13.5 games out of first) that included back-to-back days of doubleheaders due to three straight postponements due to rain. The highlight of the week was a 1-0 complete game shutout by RHP Spencer Adams over Mobile. Adams struck out eight, while only allowing three hits. The Barons continue their 10-game homestand against Mobile and Jackson.
- The Dash remain in last-place in the Carolina League South Division following a 1-6 week (20-43 overall, 17 games out of first). RHP Dane Dunning picked up his first losses of this season last week after he was on the losing end twice (4-2 overall record). RHP Brannon Easterling picked up a win to break a five-game losing streak and C Zack Collins homered for the ninth time this season. The Dash finish their homestand versus Down East before hitting the road to Buies Creek.
- Kannapolis currently sits in third-place in the South Atlantic League North Division following 4-2 week (33-27 overall, 2 games out of first). RHP Alec Hansen was one of five Intimidators that were named to the SAL All-Star game which also includes Jimmy Lambert, closer Mike Morrison, catcher Seby Zavala and center fielder Joel Booker. Hansen improved his record to 6-3 and lowered his ERA to 2.57 following a 6-1 victory over Delmarva that included eight strikeouts over six shutout innings. OF Jameson Fisher also had a 5-5 night on Friday against Delmarva that included a home run and three runs batted in. The Intimidators complete their road trip against Delmarva, before beginning a seven-game homestand against Hagerstown and West Virginia.
In Case You Missed It
- OF Luis Robert is set to make his White Sox debut this week as a member of the team's Dominican Summer League team. Robert and his teammates were previewed last week by our own Matt Cassidy.
- Birmingham's Kopech was named the starting pitcher for the North Division in the Southern League all-star game. Teammate Jordan Guerrero was also named to the all-star squad.
- The Chicago Tribune's Colleen Kane detailed OF Engel's brief stay and debut in the big leagues.
- Gregor believes RHP Lucas Giolito has re-established himself as an elite prospect following his recent dominating stretch (2-0, 2.25 ERA, 29 Ks in 32 innings since May 13).
- OF Micker Adolfo credits a new approach for his improvement this season according to the Tribune's Kane.
- LHP Carlos Rodon continued his rehab from a bicep injury at Charlotte. Rodon joins RHP James Shields at Charlotte on rehab assignments. Shields is scheduled to make his third start for the Knights this week, while Rodon could make two more starts at Triple-A.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.