In this edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, RHP Carson Fulmer's early season success has him back on track for a return to the big leagues, Willy Garcia heads back to the big leagues for an all-Garcia outfield and top honors for April have been handed out. In addition, we will get you caught up on the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Fulmer Back on Track For Shot in Big League Rotation
The highly touted Fulmer's hot start to the season has been overshadowed by the quick starts of high profile acquisitions such as 2B Yoan Moncada and RHP Dane Dunning. Fulmer picked up two more wins last week to run his 2017 record to 4-1, which includes four consecutive starts in which he has only allowed one earned run. His four wins and 34 1/3 innings pitched lead the International League.
With the struggles of Rule 5 draft pick Dylan Covey at the big league level, Fulmer seems to be the most logical option to return to the big leagues, this time as a starting pitcher after White Sox manager Rick Renteria said Covey's next start isn't guaranteed. After Fulmer struggled during a brief stint in the big leagues as a reliever last season, upon his return to the minors he fixed some mechanical flaws with the assistance of White Sox Pitching Coordinator Richard Dotson (then the pitching coach at Charlotte) with the results still evident to begin 2017.
- White Sox recalled OF Willy Garcia from Charlotte
- White Sox optioned OF Jacob May to Charlotte
- White Sox selected the contract of LHP David Holmberg
- Activated LHP Cory Luebke from disabled list
- Disabled C Carson Blair
- Activated OF Courtney Hawkins from disabled list
- LHP Aaron Bummer assigned to Birmingham Barons from Winston-Salem
- RHP Jack Charleston assigned to Winston-Salem from White Sox Ext. Spring Training
- OF Jeff Gelalich assigned to Winston-Salem from Birmingham
- Kannapolis released C Wilfredo Rodriguez
- RHP Luis Ledo assigned to White Sox Ext. Spring Training from Kannapolis
- SS Everth Cabrera assigned to Kannapolis from Charlotte
- RHP Chris Comito assigned to Kannapolis from White Sox Ext. Spring Training
For the Record
- The Knights began and ended the week with Fulmer victories as they finished the week 3-3 during the six-game homestand, including winning the series over Gwinnett. They remain in third place in the IL South, six games behind first-place Durham. Charlotte hits the road for seven games at Indianapolis and Louisville this week.
- Birmingham remains in last place in the Southern League North Division after a 2-4 week, that included four consecutive losses wrapped around wins to begin and end the week. The Barons hit the road for 10 straight games, playing five games apiece at Pensacola and Chattanooga.
- Winston-Salem still remains in last place in the Carolina League's Southern Division following a 2-5 week, highlighted by an 11-7 win in the finale of the road trip. The other win of the week was a 1-0 shutout by Dunning in his Dash debut. The Dash head home for a quick three-game homestand with Myrtle Beach before heading back on the road to Carolina.
- Kannapolis moved up to fourth place in the South Atlantic League Southern Division with a 4-2 week. After a dismal beginning of the season, the Intimidators have won 14 of their last 21 games. Kannapolis completes the seven-game homestand on Monday before heading on the road for seven games at Augusta and Rome.
In Case You Missed It
- The Tribune's Colleen Kane details how top prospect Dunning looks forward to pitching with brother Jake in the White Sox organization.
- Kane also did a piece on Dunning's new batterymate at Winston-Salem, Zack Collins.
- The Daily Herald's Scot Gregor detailed the progress of Moncada and Dunning so far this season.
- Moncada's hot start was also highlighted by the Sun-Times' Daryl Schouwen last week.
- The San Diego Tribune highlighted Luis Robert's private workout with the Padres last week. All reports about Robert's forthcoming signing list the White Sox among the favorites to land the 19-year-old Cuban.
- MiLB.com profiled Carson Fulmer and how he prefers to stay as a starter in the major leagues.
- Our own James Fox featured LHP Tanner Banks in the most recent Prospect Focus.
- Mitch Roman and Dunning were named the White Sox Prospects of the Month for April by FutureSox, while the White Sox organization gave April honors to Dunning and Moncada.
- Rob Young and Matt Cassidy are in the midst of a 3-city trip to visit all the North Carolina affiliates of the White Sox (Charlotte, Kannapolis, Winston-Salem). There will be lots of content coming, but for now, check out our YouTube channel for at least 40 new, exclusive videos of White Sox prospects.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.