The White Sox hosted a conference call for Web sites and blogs with Director of Player Development Buddy Bell. Among the topics discussed were Jordan Danks' defense and Charlotte making adjustments to their stadium. Here's the cliff notes version of what he said.
White Sox Interactive, Sox Machine and MLB Daily Dish were also represented at the conference call.
- Bell said the biggest difference now from when he rejoined the organization in 2008 is the talent in the minor league system is better.
- Gregory Infante will probably start in Winston-Salem and has a "pretty good chance of going a little faster than most."
- Dan Remenowsky doesn't have great stuff, but has great control with his fastball. He usually works 90-91, has good deception and has a decent changeup.
- Bell said the Sox see C.J. Retherford as a super utility player rather than a second baseman. He thinks he can already play emergency catcher if needed. C.J is in outstanding shape, resulting in better quickness. He is unorthodox as a hitter and a fielder.
- Jordan Danks: "He might be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors right now."
- Tyler Flowers has some swing changes he has to correct. Bell mentioned he was originally skeptical of his defense, but he has really done well and has made a lot of improvement.
- On Dayan Viciedo: "He has such great hands. He can sit back and drive the ball the other way." However, he said Dayan gets opposite field happy and gets anxious. They are trying to get him to stay behind the ball more because he is so quick.
- David Holmberg looks real good. He has great instincts for his age, but they will be slower with him this year because there are older guys they need to see at a higher level. He has big upside. The coaches don't have to tell him twice what to do.
- John Shelby "has a good chance to get to Charlotte this year." From the sound of that, Shelby will likely start in Birmingham again.
- In somewhat big news, Knights Stadium will have its fences moved back in 2011. It's currently a small park that's a haven for hitters, but that's going to change at least somewhat.
- Bell sees Kyle Bellamy as more than a situational guy because he has a changeup and a curveball to go with his fastball and great deception.
Thanks to the White Sox and Buddy Bell for inviting us to the conference call.