Optimism always abounds at the Annual Fire Kick-Off Luncheon and this year's event was no different. The 6-0-0 record this preseason has helped fuel that a bit but the numbers were downplayed across the board.
There may be more reason for optimism this year with the addition of proven players like Dax McCarty, Juninho, and Nemanja Nikolic. In the latest edition of the Fire Confidential Live podcast we compile media interviews with Nelson Rodriguez, Nikolic, McCarty, and Veljko Paunovic.
- Rodriguez on the potential addition of more players and the possibility of another DP this summer.
- Rodriguez on interest in two players who recently signed in China and Mexico, and two others the club is currently tracking.
- Status update on the trial for right back Ryan Taylor.
- Nikolic on playing with Accam and de Leeuw.
- McCarty on the importance (or lack thereof) of preseason results, improving team mentality, and style of play.
- Paunovic on confidence, style of play, loans to Tulsa, and the Fire's base 442 formation.
The current roster is at 26 with the signings of Brandt Bronico and Matej Dekovic, who will take up an international roster spot if he isn't loaned out. The Fire currently have 9 internationals on the 26-man squad.
GK: Bava, Lampson, Cleveland
DEF: Campbell, Kappelhof, Meira, Vincent, Harrington, Doody, Dekovic
MID: Accam, Alvarez, Goossens, Polster, Fernandez, Conner, Calistri, Juninho, Bronico, Johnson, McCarty, Mihailovic
FWD: De Leeuw, Arshakyan, Nikolic, Solignac
MLS has updated roster rules with the addition of two off-budget player spots available for more Homegrown signings. On top of that, $200,000 in TAM can now be used to sign Homegrowns.
You can join this season's Fire Confidential MLS Fantasy league right here. The code to join is 15647-3033.