The Fire averted what could have been an embarrassing US Open Cup disaster by squeaking past USL side Louisville City FC 1-0 in overtime. Quincy Amarikwa, who squandered countless opportunities throughout the night, scored the game winner in the 116th minute. While standing in the way of Guly do Prado’s shot attempt, Amarikwa redirected the ball with his head past goalkeeper Scott Goodwin.
Frank Yallop fielded a combination of available starters and reserve players to start the match. The level of play was considerably below first division quality but the Fire survived to move into the fifth round of the US Open Cup tournament. US Soccer will hold a draw to determine opponents for the remaining clubs in the round of 16 on Thursday at 10am.
“When you play everyone who doesn’t play a lot of minutes and you put it all together. This doesn’t always come out well, we kept going. We won the game and we are into the next round. I’ve got to take the positive and that was, we keep going, we kept fighting, we kept pushing. I know the team we are playing against is a lower league team but I think with the guys we had missing and what we did on Saturday, it was a hard match for us and I think we obviously did enough to win,” said Yallop after the match.
The Fire advanced but this display wasn’t exactly one for the scrapbook.
- Shaun Maloney left the match with back spasms in overtime. Yallop didn’t seem concerned with the injury. “Probably didn't want to play him tonight but with the lack of guys we had available, we weren't playing particularly well and didn't look dangerous. But obviously with the trip he had, he had a long trip and I hope it is just spasms. When he settles down he should be okay," he said.
- Kennedy Igboananike was not in the 18 due to a sinus infection.
- Matt Polster started the game at centerback
- Sean Johnson returned to the line-up and played well while donning the armband
- Jeff Larentowicz was on the bench but did not play due to a slight groin issue
- Matt Fondy was the captain for Louisville City
Gehrig, Polster, Adailton, Cochrane
Watson (Maloney 46’, Cocic 97’), Stephens, Ritter, Shipp
Amarikwa, J. Johnson (do Prado 63’)
Subs not used: Busch, Palmer, Larentowicz, Fernandez